Old Vicarage at Ridgeway

samstar999

Someone I know said he felt uncomfortable there as he felt he had been treated as if he wasn't good enough to be in there.

I have never felt that way or felt as if I have been treated like that. And if the staff say that then what do they know: they would, I presume, other than the chefs and the owners, been on a not very great salary anyway and not even be able to afford the wine on the list.

I have had no problems, but then again, everytime I have been the bill has come to over £400 so I probably fit in with how they want their clientèle to be.

This is my experience of the place.

Myself and some friends love eating out and take our food seriously.

When we went to the Old Vicarage, Tess didn't like the look of us straight away. Her attitude was incredibly snooty. When I stated my order before my wife, Tess snapped back "I'm taking the ladies orders first". Maybe this is the correct etiquette, but when a spend per head is £80 minimum, you don't expect belittling by the waitress.

We generally got below par service all night, while Tess sycophantically hung on every word of the couple on the next table, who frankly were so drunk they could barely walk when they left.

However, the food was excellent.

This is my experience of the place.

Myself and some friends love eating out and take our food seriously.

When we went to the Old Vicarage, Tess didn't like the look of us straight away. Her attitude was incredibly snooty. When I stated my order before my wife, Tess snapped back "I'm taking the ladies orders first". Maybe this is the correct etiquette, but when a spend per head is £80 minimum, you don't expect belittling by the waitress.

We generally got below par service all night, while Tess sycophantically hung on every word of the couple on the next table, who frankly were so drunk they could barely walk when they left.

However, the food was excellent.

I think that maybe Tess is a snotty snob, however I do love the meals she produces and the wine list is fabulous. Althought the surroundings are beautiful, they do have an outdated look in the house and some of the sofas and 'doilies' need throwing.

I have ignored any wiff of Tess's air of arrogance and concentrated on my beautiful meal, but I am known to her as I have been in so may times so maybe she likes the repeat business, afterall where would she be without it?

I think that maybe Tess is a snotty snob, however I do love the meals she produces and the wine list is fabulous. Althought the surroundings are beautiful, they do have an outdated look in the house and some of the sofas and 'doilies' need throwing.

I have ignored any wiff of Tess's air of arrogance and concentrated on my beautiful meal, but I am known to her as I have been in so may times so maybe she likes the repeat business, afterall where would she be without it?

Thats fair enough, but if you're running a top end restaurant, you're judged on the whole experience - food and service.

Repeat business is very important, but she's not going to get any from me because of my experience the first time.

I like fine restaurants and live in/like Sheffield and its annoying that in my experience probably our best food is combined with out dated snobby service.

I could have accept it from the Duchess of Devonshire, but from someone whose son was sent to prison (reported for all to see on the front page of the Star), its hard to take seriously.

Thats fair enough, but if you're running a top end restaurant, you're judged on the whole experience - food and service.

Repeat business is very important, but she's not going to get any from me because of my experience the first time.

I like fine restaurants and live in/like Sheffield and its annoying that in my experience probably our best food is combined with out dated snobby service.

I could have accept it from the Duchess of Devonshire, but from someone whose son was sent to prison (reported for all to see on the front page of the Star), its hard to take seriously.

I agree with your views, however, I will still go as I adore her cooking!

• 1 year later...

I had the pleasure of dining at both the Old Vicarage and The Cricket Inn last weekend and have to say the Cricket Inn was a far more enjoyable experience.

The Old Vicarage may have been awarded a Michelin Star but the service was painfully slow. The food was delicious but the experience was tainted by the slow service and the arrogance of some of the staff. The wines were well overpriced, even for a Michelin star restaurant.

For me going to a restaurant it's about the whole experience not just the good food that makes the evening. The owner was also very arrogant and a bit up her self to be honest and I felt like she looked down on us. Was our money not as good as other peoples?

Went to the cricket inn the day after for lunch and while it is a different type of establishment entirely to the Old Vicarage, the overall experience was much nicer. The staff were very friendly and helpful, the food was lovely and there was no delay even though they were busy and they had loads of Thornbridge ales on to enjoy.

For me the Michelin star just gives owners an excuse to put huge marks ups on the wine and food and make you feel that it is your fault if you don't enjoy waiting hours for it to be served.

We mentioned the slow service to one of the staff and he replied "we can only go as fast as the kitchen" which for me is not what good service is.

The Old Vic was my fave restaurant until I had food poisoning from there. When I rang them up the next day to inform them, I was treated disgustingly and made out to be a liar! Instead of getting an apology they just did not want to know! So who knows what they are upto to act like that with someones complaint!

I had the pleasure of dining at both the Old Vicarage and The Cricket Inn last weekend and have to say the Cricket Inn was a far more enjoyable experience.

The Old Vicarage may have been awarded a Michelin Star but the service was painfully slow. The food was delicious but the experience was tainted by the slow service and the arrogance of some of the staff. The wines were well overpriced, even for a Michelin star restaurant.

For me going to a restaurant it's about the whole experience not just the good food that makes the evening. The owner was also very arrogant and a bit up her self to be honest and I felt like she looked down on us. Was our money not as good as other peoples?

Went to the cricket inn the day after for lunch and while it is a different type of establishment entirely to the Old Vicarage, the overall experience was much nicer. The staff were very friendly and helpful, the food was lovely and there was no delay even though they were busy and they had loads of Thornbridge ales on to enjoy.

For me the Michelin star just gives owners an excuse to put huge marks ups on the wine and food and make you feel that it is your fault if you don't enjoy waiting hours for it to be served.

We mentioned the slow service to one of the staff and he replied "we can only go as fast as the kitchen" which for me is not what good service is.

Someone said to me the other day Carl Grayson is now at the Cricket. (Used to be manager at Smiths and then went away , then came back to run Artisan and then went off to run the Robin Hood at loxley).

If true will have to make a trip.

He has been Richard Smiths best asset over the past 10 years...

Archived