Old Vicarage at Ridgeway

samstar999

We went to The Old vicarage last night, we have been many times before and always enjoyed the food and the service, so we were looking forward to our evening with much anticipation.

We were originally a party of 4 and paid a deposit of £10 per person on booking, however on the day before my friend ended up in hospital with an injured leg and couldn't drive (she lives in Cheshire) so sadly she and her OH had to cancel. We called the restaurant straight away to let them know there would only be 2 of us dining with them and explained the situation.

I have to say the sitting area is looking a bit shabby, there was a visible layer of dust on the pictures, dust and balls of animal hair under the chairs, the throws and cushions on the sofa's looked grubby too. Rather than leave us with the wine menu Tessa hovered pointing out their recommended wines at £50 plus a bottle, we have bought them before only to find the mark up is exorbitant. The wine we finally chose can be bought for £7.50 a bottle we paid £28.

We were taken in to the conservatory which was chilly and I was sat near the entrance where the waiting staff stood having conversations about the fantastic all you can eat chinese buffet in town and what they were planning for the weekend!

The food is still really good but not perfect; the scallops were slightly over done and therefore on the chewy side rather than soft and the shoulder of lamb was over seasoned and dry, however the desert was faultless. I think for a £100 per head I expect perfection to be honest!

The whole evening was marred when it came to paying the bill, Tessa sits under the stairs counting her money! She quibbled over the £20 deposit for our friends who could not make it but in the end she grudgingly conceded to refunding the £20, this soured the whole evening for us really. I can totally appreciate that they take deposits for a reason, however we still turned up it wasn't a wasted table or lost booking and we spent a considerable amount of money there. Also she was aware of the unavoidable circumstances, it wasn't as though they just couldn't be bothered to turn up!

Next time we want to experience Michelin starred fine dining I think we will go to Fischers!

........Rather than leave us with the wine menu Tessa hovered pointing out their recommended wines at £50 plus a bottle, we have bought them before only to find the mark up is exorbitant............The whole evening was marred when it came to paying the bill, Tessa sits under the stairs counting her money! She quibbled over the £20 deposit for our friends who could not make it but in the end she grudgingly conceded to refunding the £20, this soured the whole evening for us really..........

That's awful! I have never been; it all looks a bit too fussy and old fashioned to me.

After reading this, I'm pretty sure I will never go. How dare Tessa act in that manner! She should be making you feel comfortable, not hovering as you choose wine and certainly not counting money in front of you. RUDE!!

Im sorry but paying £200 for a meal that sounds like it was just normal is stupid and a waste of money, that equals just short of my weeks take home pay working for NHS.

Mine also, I work for the NHS too.

It was a special occasion, my present from my husband for my 40th birthday. We aren't stupid and we wouldn't waste our hard earned money, we were expecting a fantastic meal and evening. I don't understand why people on the Sheffield forums get personal and insulting, Dooley you know nothing about us.

I won't be doing it again though.

Mine also, I work for the NHS too.

It was a special occasion, my present from my husband for my 40th birthday. We aren't stupid and we wouldn't waste our hard earned money, we were expecting a fantastic meal and evening. I don't understand why people on the Sheffield forums get personal and insulting, Dooley you know nothing about us.

I won't be doing it again though.

Exactly. £200 isn't too far away from what most people in Sheffield get paid a week, but that doesn't mean that people can't save up for something special.

Also different people prioritise things differently. For instance I would happily save up £200 for a nice meal out rather than spend it on decorating our flat (which is desperate and hasn't been done for 5 years). I'm more about experiences and enjoyment rather than material stuff; no doubt other people wouldn't agree with this outlook on life, but that's up to them.

Archived