Old Vicarage at Ridgeway

samstar999

From the restaurants point of view usually the less expensive wines have the bigger mark up. I know from places I have worked bottles like Petrus or Chateau Margaux are marked up considerably less as they have a price that people are willing to pay for those wines. I.E. the house wine is bought in at £4.95 and sold at £27 but Petrus though sold for £800 costs the restaurant £600.

The decor and general ambience including the cat and slightly shabby interior seems to be a recurring point, I would guess it comes from her being a little eccentric. Michelin have very specific standards in these areas and if she is maintaining her star they must consider it part of the package maybe.

Michelin have been accused of lax inspection standards, due to the lack of inspectors restaurants may not receive 3 visits per year, it has been reported that most go 3-4 years between visits. This is a particular problem in France, but there are over 400 most establishments with a Michelin rating in France I'm unsure if this is the situation in the UK.

I take your point on the mark up with the wine; however in the past when we have been the best wines to accompany our meal have been pointed out, but then we were left with the menu to make our choice at our leisure.

Michelin have been accused of lax inspection standards, due to the lack of inspectors restaurants may not receive 3 visits per year, it has been reported that most go 3-4 years between visits. This is a particular problem in France, but there are over 400 most establishments with a Michelin rating in France I'm unsure if this is the situation in the UK.

I have worked at Fischers, Hambleton Hall and Gravetye Manor in the UK. All of which have stars. 90% of the time we knew who the inspectors were through other hotels and restaurants sharing info or by the fact you get very few single diners. (If you want to appear like a reviewer go on your own and make notes as you go along, you will have the management running then!)

I don't remember exactly how many times a year they came, but 2 sounds about right. Occasionally they would come as a couple but that usually meant they were doing a more thorough review and contemplating changing your rating.

I also worked in the US where we had 5 Diamonds, they used to come also twice a year but were a lot more open with their feedback and what their criteria was to achieve the levels required.

Hi all,

Like I said I would review for others to see.

It was a Tuesday night 7.45, but turned up 10 mins early just as I always do. "Oh, your early" Bit confused because I thought I had time wrong lol. But never mind, there was a big party in so Tes asked "If we would like to be seated before the party". We agreed.

We had no hassle over what wine to choose, maybe because I am young (24) and don't look like I have much money or the fact she didn't want to. Either way I was happy with the wine I selected (big wine/cham fannic), not sure of mark-up price but at £46 a bottle not cheap but I was not expecting it to be much less really!

Because we were put in before the party, there was no waiting for orders to be taken, no waiting for food apart from last course (Which I assume is because the large party had ordered by then and time was been taken because that course we did wait longest, but after heavy rich food a wait for a heavy desert is good :)).

Decor is what I would expect from a building of that age and style, you either like it or hate it, and I agree that many places could do with a bit of extra attention due to cleaning but the dining areas IMHO were spotless. I have been to other Mich star places that have been more expensive and the service and food was much better but at twice the price you expect perfection really. Not saying you don’t at £100 a head.

Anyway, to the main reason of going, the FOOD! Appetizer, duck and belly pork, AMAZING, I love belly pork and it was done to perfection almost, just not crispy enough but full of flavour and good balance.

Scallops, I never eat these because they are never cooked correctly and are tasteless, never had them from a mich star rest, so decided on them to my other halves shock horror :). I have to admit one of the best starters I have ever eaten. Lovely taste alongside the honey, the missus didn't agree, she didn't like the honey with them. Personal opinion I guess.

Main, deer, was cooked great very rare and seasoned well. Stuffing balls were the best part of the dish, tiny yet packed full of delightful flavours.

Dessert, unfortunately my fav part of a meal generally. But sadly let down at the last hurdle :(, we had to wait for this and I had high hopes after the other courses, but never mind it was a sour ending to a great night but not a disappointing one which I thought I might have after other reviews.

A couple of pointers which I think helped, sat in window by ourselves with lovely music and the od Christmas carol went down a treat, only one other party to cook and serve. Might be a different night if fully booked and rushed off feet.

But not a must to eat at but the best in the Sheffield area I have tasted up to now. All other Mich stars have been Hampshire area. So a good 8.5/10.

Happy to answer any other questions if required :)

I really like OV, and tend to agree with the general decor needing a bit of an overhaul - so for a change, we have been venturing further afield and prefer Sat Bains in Nottingham. Slightly more expensive but you will find the food is so much better and imaginative. 10 course comes in at £85 but there are some deals if you stop over in one of their rooms with breakfast. If your a foodie and enjoy michelin standards, its well worth a look. (Make sure you read the cancellation policy though - a bit more stricter than Old Vicarage!)

The view of the motorway flyover and multiple electricity pylons is not worth a look however.

Archived