Save Bishops House - meeting, 24th June

The Thorpe House Residents association are dedicating their next meeting to discuss the future of the historic Bishops House above Meersbrook Park. We daily see vandals attacking it, there are rumours of death watch beetles in the cellar and we look forward to hearing what the head of Sheffield museums has to say.

Our aim is to persuade the council to erect a fence around the 500 year old building, one of the lesser-known jewels in Sheffield's crown. In addition, we would like assurances that the condition of the building will be maintained at an appropriate level.

If you have any interest in helping to fight for this cause, please come to our meeting

7.30 pm Tuesday 24 June

St Paul’s Centre/Church

Norton Lees Lane

Please tell your friends!

It'll be sad to see the Bishops House fenced in rather than open to the park, but if that's what it takes to save it then I suppose it should be done.

Who would vandalise a beautiful 16th century half timbered house?

An alternative solution would be to let someone from the council parks department live in part of it to deter vandals. This used to be the case up till 1974.

If someone did live in the building they would have to be very brave to come out and confront a gang of youths outside! Also, the building is now a museum visited by thousands every year, which it couldn't be if it were residential again!

I'm for a fence, as long as it's in keeping with the setting and does the job.

• 2 weeks later...
It'll be sad to see the Bishops House fenced in rather than open to the park, but if that's what it takes to save it then I suppose it should be done.

Who would vandalise a beautiful 16th century half timbered house?

I don't think vandals even consider the value of what they attack, it's just a means of entertainment. The museums dept promised to "look into it", so we'll see.

• 1 month later...

Archived