Is it time to ban alcohol?

No it shouldn't be banned, as with most drugs alcohol is not the problem it's the people who use it that are, i drink and i've never caused any problems or had any health issues as a result, just because some people can't manage how they drink alcohol doesn't mean the rest of us should suffer because of it!

Also banning it won't make a bit of difference just look at the amount of people who use banned drugs, just because something isn't legal doesn't mean people won't do it.

I'd support a ban if cigarettes were banned simultaneously.

That way the Big Three - drugs, fags and booze - would have equal status.

Alternatively (and preferably, by a factor of many), I'd see all legalized.

The first option would indeed lead to a massive crime wave - bring on the second, I say :)

Its a ridiculous idea to put the drinking age up to 21, I may be slightly bias because im 18, but it doesn't seem fair that because some people who aren't old enough to drink anyway, should stop me enjoying a drink at home - because quite frankly i cannot afford to go into town every week, and enjoy having a drink at my house in the garden with friends.

Surely if this ban came into place it would lead to even higher statistics for underage drinking, because I know I wouldn't stop drinking at home, I'de just have to ask someone older to get it for me, Ive been able to legally buy it for nearly a year and I would be really angry if this right got taken away from me.

Why can a person get married, raise a family, join the army, but not drink? Why would we send 18 year old boys away to Iraq and then on their return treat them like children once again?

Why can a person get married, raise a family, join the army, but not drink? Why would we send 18 year old boys away to Iraq and then on their return treat them like children once again?

You raise a far more serious dilema Tess...........at the age of age 18, nobody should be allowed to sign away their lives....... nor join the Army either.

Why on earth either raise the legal drinking age or ban alcohol altogether?! What needs to change is the nation's attitude to alcohol, i.e a fun night out is getting trolleyed, getting into a fight and puking in your neighbours' garden (yes I've done it too! :roll:)

It would be a better idea to look to the continent rather than America, where children drink wine at the table from an early age and there isn't the same emphasis on getting pished every weekend.

Also what about the people over 21? How bright are they?! Do we just keep raising the legal age til there are no more stupid people left? :rant:

Rant over.

You raise a far more serious dilema Tess...........at the age of age 18, nobody should be allowed to sign away their lives....... nor join the Army either.

If a person does it out of free will, good on him/her. If they are forced into it, not so good. But lets not get off topic. I think I said some good points!

Another point I can think of is if the government were to relax drinking laws. If they allowed people to drink at say, 12, at this moment in time the UK would just get higher numbers of binge drinkers, seeing as every day you hear of drunk 11/12 year olds, legalising will not help. Which is a shame because if they had done that 15-20 years ago, it may have had a positive effect on society.

Why on earth either raise the legal drinking age or ban alcohol altogether?! What needs to change is the nation's attitude to alcohol, i.e a fun night out is getting trolleyed, getting into a fight and puking in your neighbours' garden (yes I've done it too! :roll:)

It would be a better idea to look to the continent rather than America, where children drink wine at the table from an early age and there isn't the same emphasis on getting pished every weekend.

Also what about the people over 21? How bright are they?! Do we just keep raising the legal age til there are no more stupid people left? :rant:

Rant over.

This is how i was brought up, in the uk, and i feel it helped me to understand that alcohol is a luxury to be enjoyed every once in a while, usually with a meal, it's very rare i go out and get really drunk, i see so many people i know go out 2 or 3 times a week and drink as much as they can, usually fall over then throw up, and i just don't understand how that can be classed as a good time, they can't even remember it the next day!!

There's nothing wrong with having a drink if you do it in a responsible way and know your limits, i don't think raising or lowering the legal age to drink will make a difference in the UK because i don't think the 'binge drink' era we seem to be in will ever pass.

Rant over.

Yes, raise the age to 60, then when we are pensioners we will have something to look forward to and relieve the boredom! :D

Archived