Black-a-moor at Troway - Has it re-opened?

exhausted

the no booking policy will be for a higher turn over in tables

eg. if none booked then they can be full all the time not where say booked for 8pm and empty at 730 half hour empty table.

this i can understand but surley they should be better comunication when phonin

the no booking policy will be for a higher turn over in tables

eg. if none booked then they can be full all the time not where say booked for 8pm and empty at 730 half hour empty table.

this i can understand but surley they should be better comunication when phonin

I am not sure that works.

I turned up for a meal at 8 on a Saturday. I couldn't get one. I had rung and been told that it wouldn't be a problem. It was. I won't be rushing back.

Had I been told that 8pm was a busy time but 8.30 or 7.30 would be OK they would have had a customer. As it turned out they didn't.

Tonight I am out at a very nice pub for a meal. I rang up to book for 8 and was told 8 was fully booked. I was offered 8.30 or 7.45. 7.45 is fine. I will be dining out. It won't be at the Blackamoor. I am not going hungry again due to their stupid policy.

Went on a Monday evening. The place was pretty quiet, so no problem getting a table.

The staff when ordering we're polite and friendly. Started with some Pork Scratchings from the bar snacks menu which arrived quickly and were delicious.

Starters arrived soon after and again were very tasty.

Then we waited... and waited... and then the table was cleared... and we waited... and waited (entertaining ourselves trying to swat the flies)... and waited... and waited... before finally the main courses arrived.

One of the main courses, beef stew, was lovely. The other, a Cornish Pasty, wasn't. Dry tasteless pastry wrapped around a gloopy stodge of what could have passed as a thick soup (which I would have enjoyed had I ordered it as soup).

When the waitress came to clear the plates and asked if everything was okay with our meal told her how nice the beef was, and how poor the pasty was; to which she giggled and wandered off - obviously only done the first part of the staff training about asking the question but still to be trained in dealing with the replies.

Just under £40 for 2 courses and a round of drinks.

Service 2/5

Food 3/5

VFM 2/5

Had the service been better and the pasty not been so disappointing then I would have left satisfied; as it is I won't be going back any time soon.

Went on a Monday evening. The place was pretty quiet, so no problem getting a table.

The staff when ordering we're polite and friendly. Started with some Pork Scratchings from the bar snacks menu which arrived quickly and were delicious.

Starters arrived soon after and again were very tasty.

Then we waited... and waited... and then the table was cleared... and we waited... and waited (entertaining ourselves trying to swat the flies)... and waited... and waited... before finally the main courses arrived.

One of the main courses, beef stew, was lovely. The other, a Cornish Pasty, wasn't. Dry tasteless pastry wrapped around a gloopy stodge of what could have passed as a thick soup (which I would have enjoyed had I ordered it as soup).

When the waitress came to clear the plates and asked if everything was okay with our meal told her how nice the beef was, and how poor the pasty was; to which she giggled and wandered off - obviously only done the first part of the staff training about asking the question but still to be trained in dealing with the replies.

Just under £40 for 2 courses and a round of drinks.

Service 2/5

Food 3/5

VFM 2/5

Had the service been better and the pasty not been so disappointing then I would have left satisfied; as it is I won't be going back any time soon.

Having just returned from the Coach & Horses where I had a table booked. We had a lovely meal accompanied by Thornbridge Ales. We were not accompanied by flies. The food was superb. The beers were too.

Similar prices (perhaps slightly less) than the Blackamoor. Service 5/5. Food 5/5. Value 4/5.

I know where my alegiences lie.

I hope the medicinal brandy has not made my spelling too bad.

• 1 month later...
I remember going to a beer festival and barbecue there some years ago. It was held in a large tent on the decking alongside the pub. Every now and then there would be a nasty niff. The landlord of the day told me that the pub was not on mains drains and the septic tank outlet was in the field alongside the deck.:gag:

The sceptic tank is under the decking, that's why there are flies and an awful smell!!

Archived