Ah - a bit too upmarket for your tastes, was it?? :hihi:

I went to Blackpool and I saw:

Drunkards reeling about in the street

A man poo his pants in a public bar

Feral children scuttling about

Some very fat ladies flashing their pasty breasts in public

A man sat in his own vomit

I'll not be going back.

Poo, vomit, breasts and scuttling.....count me in.

It depends what your looking for if your looking for a village that just happens to be on the coast where nothing has changed in the last 50 years then visit Whitby, A place which has tried all be it half a**ed to drag themselves into the 20th century (thats how half a**ed their attepmts to provide entertainment) then Scaborough or Cleethorpes.

Blackpool is what you make of it there are bad points and god points of Blackpool if your going with your family its highly unlikely your going to be out at 2-3am when the drunks are out there are alot of family activities from the traditional to more modern.

If your going with other adults you dont need a stab vest/fur coat/no knickers and i challenge the posters who said this to show proof that stabbings are of a higher proportion than the rest of the country, average temperatures are lower than the average or even apart from when the Scots decsend on Blackpool in traditional dress that underwear is not needed.

There are plenty of reasonable places to stay (usually family run) that are clean and comfortable some offer their own evening entertainment too

Pubs and clubs, Up the North Shore you will be hard pushed to know your in another town/city as they have the same pubs/bars as the rest of the country flares/walkabout etc, One place to go is Roxys. A great nights entertainment from the resident djs who are also the owners and stage shows

I've been going to Blackie for many years usually more than once a year, I've worked there too and in my time i've never felt threatened or gotten into fights because most people there are out for the same as you to have a good time!

Blackpool is a BIN in my opinion, but I guess it's what you make it. If your children are old enough the Pleasure Beach is good, but if they want rides then take them to Alton Towers - much nicer.

Scarborough is nice too, as is Whitby mentioned by a few people. I'd take Whitby over many places any day of the week though, I love it there.

When my kids were young and we still lived in Sheffield, we used to go on the half day coach trip during the illuminations season. I enjoyed the ride and the lights, they enjoyed the sand and the lights, so if we went at the beginning, then we got the weather for the sands as well. Everyone happy and to be honest, a couple of hours there was enough for me.

Then when my daughter was 18 , she went with a group from college, and discovered ...the pleasure beach. I had managed to hide it from her all those times and she was not amused....it was off the coach, walk down the sands to the Tower, stopping for the picnic we'd taken with us then back along the prom towards the coach when it was time. So we never actually went past the big amusements.....Well, I didn't have a big purse either.:thumbsup:

Personally if money is tight, then blackpool ain't the place to go and fritter what you have got.

As others have said Scarborough or Whitby are equally as british but without so much tat.

If its rides youre after for the kids then go to alton towers. Theres offer tickets around to get you in cheaper.

Blackpool is ok if you go midweek and aren't out in the tower area in the evening, where all the drunks usually are.

If you have kids then stay up the pleasure beach end in the evening and they should really enjoy it.

Most stag/hen do's are at the weekends.

The place is seedy & grotty and it's great for a day! :lol:

Archived