So I Went To CEX Today As I Was Recommended...

What are you views on CEX seemingly pushing to give store credit rather than buy goods from the public? Is this something that is set as a hard sell to give credit instead?

I appreciate it's a good way to make money, but it does appear to be getting harder to get actual cash for items from CEX which is what I thought the store was there fore in the first place.

No, it's when we have no cash... If we've got no hard cash then we can't give it out... If more people are selling stuff than buying (something we don't really have any control over) then we run out of cash... Go to any shop like ours (Cash Converters for example... even GameStation or PlayTime sometimes) and they'll get to points where they run out of cash... It does seem to be happening more and more tbh, but the business can't carry on handing out cash if it's not pulling in enough...

Game want doing under trades description act IMO, they advertise that they have the best trade in prices on the high street, they bloody don't! £13 they gave me for Nintendogs on the DS, I paid about £20 on eBay for it by the time you add postage! :rant::loopy:

The most they give for pre-owned 360 games is about £20, and they have the cheek to resell for a minimum of £30 on their pre-owned shelves.

If it wasn't for the fact I get Reward Card points every time I buy from them, including double points for online pre-orders, they could kiss my butt... That and the fact they have a virtual monopoly on high street games sales and are admittedly cheaper than the likes of HMV and Zavvi.

I got £30 for GTA4 and was glad to get rid

No, it's when we have no cash... If we've got no hard cash then we can't give it out... If more people are selling stuff than buying (something we don't really have any control over) then we run out of cash... Go to any shop like ours (Cash Converters for example... even GameStation or PlayTime sometimes) and they'll get to points where they run out of cash... It does seem to be happening more and more tbh, but the business can't carry on handing out cash if it's not pulling in enough...
That's fair enough. I just thought it may be the case that there was some sort of internal order or something stating that you shouldn't give out cash unless 100% necessary because looking at the CEX forum a few weeks back, on the CEX site, I could see people complaining that they never had cash in and I know from trying to sell mobiles to them that I had a similar experience.

*edit* -Looking on there now it appears there are less of these currently, but still lots of unhappy CEX users http://forums.cex.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=11&sid=40f6cc550f17e8f45db2e9f6c1853be3

I don't like CEX at all. My partner needed a phone because he had misplaced his when drunk. So he brought a phone from there. He had the phone 4 days and tried to take it back. He brought the phone for £40 from them and they said he could not have his money back or anything as it was not faulty or brought back within 24hours but they would buy it back from him for.... wait for it... £5 the cheek of it.. He said i'd rather smash it up and walked out :)

hi, i work at CEX and i do understand ur partners fustration, but you can go to any other shop and their refund policies are pretty much the same as ours. if a product isnt faulty then you cant just decide you dont want it anymore and expect to get ur money back. customers have 48hours to return something if they dont like it and exchange it for something else, that to me seems pretty fair.

i didnt start this to cause a row

i just wanted to point out that cos they didnt have money in their tills they have to turn people away

(and also i do agree they talk with each other too much rather than serve customers)

and its a bit daft really

x

customers have 48hours to return something if they dont like it and exchange it for something else, that to me seems pretty fair.

Actually you are incorrect, statutory rights supercede any contract between buyer and seller. Thus you cant actually refuse to take back an item for a refund provided its in good condition.

Shops try and fudge the issue.

Archived