Cubana - opinions

The last thread about this was 2005 so thought i would start a new one!

I've not been for a couple of years but have recently been feeling the need for tapas elsewhere, then some hardcore Mojitos and dancing at Cubana. Is it still good in people's opinions? Does it still have a slightly older clientele - late 20s upwards?

I wondered if it had been affected by the opening of Leopold Sq, esp Platillos as i know it was always rammed on the weekend, is it less so these days?

I know they tried to sting a group of us for an extra £30 worth of drinks last year on our meal bill- we'd only had a couple of drinks each - so noticed very quickly and it was a quiet thursday night - so no excuses for them being too busy. If we'd have had a bit more to drink - I'm sure nobody would have noticed - so watch your bill!

It's still quite good. I went last night.

I've not tasted the tapas recently but their after 10pm Friday night music is staying with the Latin Music feel, so it's sooo much better. It still has a vibe after 10pm. There's a lot more drinkers though than dancers, which is a shame.

I went about a month ago. We opted for the happy hour set tapas menu (normally £17.95 but a fiver off before 7pm). I've had that particular set menu before when paying full price and it was excellent. However, there just didn't seem to be enough food - I know we were paying less but to me the point of happy hours is to pay less and get the same. Left feeling hungry and a bit ripped off!

I've been twice over the last few months and absolutely love it in there...

have been in on a Thursday night and a Friday night, the Thursday was still relatively busy but not jam packed, the Friday night I went was actually the night after Valentine's Day; it was full up, and around 3 lots of people at a time were waiting at the bar for their tables, we waited ourselves around half an hour after our actual booking time.

This didn't bother me though, I would go back here every week if I had the time as I have fallen in love with the food and the service. We have been treated amazingly both times I have been in :)

I think its excellent in terms of food, service and atmosphere...one of my favourite places in Sheff and nearly always a first choice if I've got a pal visiting from out of town.

They have a very good music policy too with plenty of live acts, salsa on a friday and all manner of latin rhythms on the saturday. Must confess to being biased on that one tho as I dj there quite regularly :hihi:

• 4 weeks later...

Archived