What's on your "must do" list when you visit Sheffield

StJohn

Visiting Sheffield in a few weeks, I try to get back once every couple of years and wondered what others do when they return, maybe get some new ideas.

I have my usual list, have to visit family, friends. The must eat list, real bacon Sandwich, pork pie, cheese and onion crisps, fish and chips a curry. Then of course there is the pubs, are they still there, still the same and decent beer. A trip into the Peak district a walk and of course back to the pub.

So did I miss anything out?

StJohn

Visiting Sheffield in a few weeks, I try to get back once every couple of years and wondered what others do when they return, maybe get some new ideas.

I have my usual list, have to visit family, friends. The must eat list, real bacon Sandwich, pork pie, cheese and onion crisps, fish and chips a curry. Then of course there is the pubs, are they still there, still the same and decent beer. A trip into the Peak district a walk and of course back to the pub.

StJohn

Going up to Sheffield on the 17th July. On the 19th I will be in the Shakespeare at Hillsboro' enjoying a few pints with my old school pals. Then the usual things.

i just mostly visit family and the odd friends

apart from that i dont do much when im there these days...a walk round town see whats changed, sit int he peace gardens, shopping etc.

these days when i come down i try to have an SF meet as well...i did last time met about 12 people last time, will meet some next time im down :)

StJohn

Hi,

I came back from Sheffield June 2nd.

If you have been a regular visitor "over home", you will know not to try and drive downtown - that is unless you are a masochist. Park your car, take the bus or walk, if you want to see it all.

Not many changes in the suburbs apart from more cars and less parking. The big changes are in what you might call the central core. There at least 20 construction cranes working there alone. Lots of new buildings, mainly business and high-end apartments. The lower end of town ie. Fitzalan Square, Haymarket, Waingate and The Wicker are looking very shaby. The Wicker district (where I grew up) has been gutted to build all the new roads and interchanges. Fargate and the top end of town is still holding up. Work will be starting soon on the new retail quarter.

Take a look at what used to be the Peace Gardens, the Winter Gardens, the new Millenium Gallery: all very interesting. They have also done a good job reworking the museum at Western Park.

Oh yes: Regular gas was about $ 8.70 a gallon

Send me a PM if you need more info.

Regards

'Must Do' things in Sheffield ? Now, let's see ?

A tour round Sheffield's gleaming new, multi-million pound airport.

A stroll round the centre to count how many motorists are swearing or getting nicked for

parking in the wrong place.

Take the family for a nice evening out in Sheffield's vibrant city centre, buzzing on a

Saturday evening : visiting quaint inns and hostelries or have a coffee or wine at the

many pavement cafes ; watching the City's Yoof as they enjoy themselves in their frolics

and fun.

Admire the lovely new buildings, springing up all over, which, doubtless will be there in

500 years time ; the lovely call-centres and apartments filled with young, cultured,

civilised city-dwellers who will enhance The Urban Living Experience.

Visit one of the many Fast-Food outlets, specially catering for those who life in the fast

lane ! [ Treble Cheesy WhamBurgers with 500 French Fries---Only 25 p.! ].

Visit the wonderful Sheffield Central Library and borrow some DVD's, Videos or various

Audios.

Stroll through one of the many wonderful parks in the evening and meet lots of Sheffield's

Young People collecting money from you------[ for charity of course ]. Use the spotless

facilities at your leisure.

Visit the proposed Sheffield Councillors Waxwork Exhibition----see real-life models of

your favourites, past and present. Remember Sheffield Council is out there for YOU ! Nothing is too much trouble and YOUR problems are THEIR problems.

So, have a nice day, folks. [if you are dissatisfied, try Rotherham. ].

'Must Do' things in Sheffield ? Now, let's see ?

A tour round Sheffield's gleaming new, multi-million pound airport.

A stroll round the centre to count how many motorists are swearing or getting nicked for

parking in the wrong place.

Take the family for a nice evening out in Sheffield's vibrant city centre, buzzing on a

Saturday evening : visiting quaint inns and hostelries or have a coffee or wine at the

many pavement cafes ; watching the City's Yoof as they enjoy themselves in their frolics

and fun.

Admire the lovely new buildings, springing up all over, which, doubtless will be there in

500 years time ; the lovely call-centres and apartments filled with young, cultured,

civilised city-dwellers who will enhance The Urban Living Experience.

Visit one of the many Fast-Food outlets, specially catering for those who life in the fast

lane ! [ Treble Cheesy WhamBurgers with 500 French Fries---Only 25 p.! ].

Visit the wonderful Sheffield Central Library and borrow some DVD's, Videos or various

Audios.

Stroll through one of the many wonderful parks in the evening and meet lots of Sheffield's

Young People collecting money from you------[ for charity of course ]. Use the spotless

facilities at your leisure.

Visit the proposed Sheffield Councillors Waxwork Exhibition----see real-life models of

your favourites, past and present. Remember Sheffield Council is out there for YOU ! Nothing is too much trouble and YOUR problems are THEIR problems.

So, have a nice day, folks. [if you are dissatisfied, try Rotherham. ].

:huh::huh:

when we visit Sheffield (as often as we can) from Toronto, we spend our time visiting family, taking lovely drives in the countryside, enjoying fish-cakes (Sheffield style!) & chips and generally really enjoying what beautifull England has to offer........remember folks life is what you make it!...........ALWAYS a Yorkshire lass at heart!

when we visit Sheffield (as often as we can) from Toronto, we spend our time visiting family, taking lovely drives in the countryside, enjoying fish-cakes (Sheffield style!) & chips and generally really enjoying what beautifull England has to offer........remember folks life is what you make it!...........ALWAYS a Yorkshire lass at heart!

Must be better weather and better views over there though??:huh:

Must be better weather and better views over there though??:huh:

Not all that cut and dried, espadrille. Where I live on the Atlantic coast of Canada we've had rain through much of May and June, not much sign of summer yet. My daughter lives near Pickering which is where Janet lives and it hasn't been all that great there either. As for the "better views," yes it's very scenic on Prince Edward Island, many other parts of Canada also, but then Derbyshire and the Yorkshire Dales are hard to beat also. Neither are far from Sheffield. But, there's no shangri-la. ;)

Archived