The Peacock Stannington

raskel

The last time I went in they didn't have a carvery but I think they did a veggie meal, they do a nice sunday lunch. My friend is a veggie and we only eat in places that do, it is a nice pub aswell the best in Stannington IMO.

If you want carvery and sunday lunch then the Crosspool tavern is the best for that. They accomodate for all.

I was in the Crosspool Tavern earlier, and was like "WTF?!" at their prices! £7.45 for scampi and chips?! In the end I had a child's portion for £3.99.

Back on topic though, being a native of Stannington myself, I've had many a meal in the Peacock, it's very good IMO, good service, reasonably priced and decent portions, and if you ask them for "no peas" with your scampi, it comes with no peas, not even a little bit of greenery on the side of the plate, unlike other pubs.

I have had two meals in the Peacock, in the last three weeks, and I have to say that I found both meals disappointing.

in fairness, I do understand that at the time it was a releif manager on duty there, as the usual landlord was on holiday. So maybe that explained why the food was not up to a good standard.

the first time I went in, I had a jacket potato, with cheese.

the spud was miniscule, and the cheese virtually non-existant. the spud was microwaved to death, and stringy. Yuck. the pudding was nice, mind you; traditional roly-poly and custard. that was nice:- good, old-fashioned "sticks to yer ribs" grub. nice quantities, too!

the second time I went in I had the veggie lasagne, and though the lasagne itself was ok, the veggetable accompaniments were clock-cold, and hard. Not pleasant.

(I had a side of Breaded mushrooms with the meal, and they were nice.)

(I might see if I can persuade my mate to try rich/ sanman's suggestion of going to the "top house" -Crown and Glove- instead. I havent been in the top house for, what, nearly 25 years. !!)

PT

Archived