Paintings or drawings of the old London Rd through Graves Park

Hi the white rose

Not exactly an answer to your question, but have you seen the book: The Sheffield and Chesterfield Derby Roads, A history with Turnpike Trails, by Howard Smith.

thanks leipzig, that sounds well sexy, i must get hold of a copy, thanks so much for your recommendation, right up my street :)

does anyone know what the stone post (with some kind of metal thing on the side) is on this section of the old london road in graves park? it looks like an 18th century gate post to me but could it be 19th century? i know very little about this subject but it's something i've always wanted to learn about (old turnpike trails.)

Sheffield Telegraph Rambles 1913.

But the builder is creeping out along the western side of Norton, on the Dronfield Road, and is setting a wedge of houses between Norton and Greenhill.

Thanks to a road diversion made in 1803 this wedge is down the slope towards the moors well out of sight of Old Norton

Until 1803,the main coach road from the south passed through Little Norton, and through the grounds of Norton Hall to the top of Derbyshire Lane.The making of the present Sheffield-Dronfield road preserved the rural character of Norton

Whereaouts in Gaves Park is the old London road?

I live nearby but didnt realise there is an old road running through it.

Originally the Derbyshire boundary came as close to Sheffield as Heeley Bottom, Sheffield gradually incorporporated more and more of this bit of Derbyshire extending up to Meadowhead throughout the 19th Century. The old London Road ran from Heeley Bottom (London Road), past Meersbrook House, it joined Derbyshire Lane part way up this steep incline, and continued up to what is now Graves Park. It cut across and went behind where the Pavilion/Changing Rooms are now (where Hemsworth Road veers to the left). It came out where the old farm buildings are and went across the park, between the lines of trees, towards Charles Ashmore park entrance . If you look carefully you can still make out the old road indicated by the change in levels between the trees. It then came up the hill to the entrance to the park on Charles Ashmore Road, and continued straight across what is now just a walkway onto Little Norton Lane. From here it continued down the hill of Dyche Lane and up, and then down what is now Green Lane, and down to Dronfield Bottom. It continued to Chesterfield via Old Whittington Lane, over the small bridge, up the steep hill and then descended down the sharp incline of Whittington Hill.

N.B. The present A61 road, built through Smithywood was not built untill 1797, which meant that the old London Road along Derbyshire Lane became much less used.

There is a photo of the section through Graves Park in Melvyn Jones' second volume Aspects of Sheffield History on page 54. Howard Smith, the author of the paper Visual reminders of Sheffield's turnpike roads suggests the road was last used by coaches in 1806.

The line of the old road, across what is now the park, may well be visible on the 1st. edition of the OS 'county' map for Derbyshire.

• 1 month later...
If you look carefully you can still make out the old road indicated by the change in levels between the trees.

yes that's right, i find that utterly fascinating, it's still very clear where the road was. thanks for all that infor leipzig :):thumbsup:

There is a photo of the section through Graves Park in Melvyn Jones' second volume Aspects of Sheffield History on page 54. Howard Smith, the author of the paper Visual reminders of Sheffield's turnpike roads suggests the road was last used by coaches in 1806.

The line of the old road, across what is now the park, may well be visible on the 1st. edition of the OS 'county' map for Derbyshire.

Ah, good idea to look on an old OS map, thanks for that. thanks for the book reference too, greybeard, i will check that out :):thumbsup:

Archived