Landfill site near Hinde House Lane

burns80

near to firth park

anybody know the history of this ? when was the landfill site closed ? have there been any problems in relation to site in the past years ?

i could do with answers as soon as possible as I need to make up my mind about buying a house there

thanks in advance

i'm thinking about a house at the brow of the hill turning right and then left - it's actually hinde house croft - it's a decent house and it seems fairly quiet - it''s the only decent house i've seen in my price bracket

i'm not thinking about staying there for long, just a couple of years until i qualify as a solicitor. it's just an attaempt to put myself on the property ladder

The landfill site was at the top of Hinde Street. The Wensley estate is built on it now. I lived on Hinde Street as a child in a prefab we were moved so they could be demolished to make way for the new estate. As far as i can remember Hinde House Croft is not on the site. Try the reference library for old maps of the area circa 1960 or so. Hope this helps. (By the way Wensley estate is a hellhole)

• 1 year later...
Originally posted by burns80

near to firth park

anybody know the history of this ? when was the landfill site closed ? have there been any problems in relation to site in the past years ?

i could do with answers as soon as possible as I need to make up my mind about buying a house there

thanks in advance

it must have been about 1944to1946

thats when thy started building prefabs

hope it helps

To LindseyW, you are so very right in your judgement. I had the misfortune to be a pupil at Hinde House in the late 70's. It was a hellhole; a huge, sprawling disgrace of a school with no control over the [with few exceptions] "teachers", let alone the pupils. I was labelled, "not academic" by the useless bunch of numpties. Since leaving, I have gained A levels, a Degree, a Masters Degree and I have nearly completed a PhD. I am now a University Lecturer. The same happened to the son of a friend of mine. Fortunately, he was moved to a good school and is now a Lawyer.

The school should be put in the landfill site!

Archived