Earl of wharncliffe

• 1 month later...
I vaguely remember the Earl racing around in his car like a madman in the 70s... didnt he get into trouble a few times for dangerous driving and drink driving?

Yes, he did, I was working at the Court House at that time, remember him looking very frail whilst he was sat in the dock. He went to prison but I can't remember for how long.

i would love to find out as much information out as possible as we my family are related to the Wortley family and i would love to find more details of where my family fit in my grandfather was Arthur Wortley and married Alice Murray in Sheffield i would love anyone with any ideas of how to find any further information to contact ,me via dminnimouse@yahoo.com

thanks so much Debbie

I worked in a tailors shop on Fargate in the early 1960's, the Earl was a regular customer. I recall that he had his military badge woven into the breast patch pocket of a bespoke blazer, no stiching one on for him. Oh yes, he never ever paid for anything, we had to send an invoice to his agent.

The local history group of the University of the Third Age (U3A) that meets at Chapeltown Library will be visiting Wortley Hall on the 16th of September. It will include a tour around the house, lunch and then a tour around the gardens by the gardener.

If anyone is interested send me a PM

(U3A membership is not related to a specific age but to a period in one’s life (the third age) after the second age of full-time employment and parental responsibility. Anybody in their third age can join U3A and this includes people who are working part time. There is no lower age for membership.)

A friend of the Earls in the 70s was a guy called Nick Bloxham who was from the south of England and went into the army after which I lost contact, he worked for Stowells of Chelsea the Wine and Spirit merchants. Another was Kevin Lissenden who lived in Dore and was a regular at the hen and Chickens and Sheffield Tigers Rugby anyone know what happened to either of these guys?

The local history group of the University of the Third Age (U3A) that meets at Chapeltown Library will be visiting Wortley Hall on the 16th of September. It will include a tour around the house, lunch and then a tour around the gardens by the gardener.

If anyone is interested send me a PM

(U3A membership is not related to a specific age but to a period in one’s life (the third age) after the second age of full-time employment and parental responsibility. Anybody in their third age can join U3A and this includes people who are working part time. There is no lower age or membership.)[/Quote]

I hope when you go on the Walk & Dine that Len is about,he knows all the history of Wortley Hall,he's a great source of information about the House and the area.

That wasn't Jackson The Tailor was it?

No Alexandre, where H Samuel is now situated. Those were the days when you could park on Fargate and he always got as close to the shop as he could as walking after consuming copious amounts of alcohol was not his forte. ;)

In the 60s i worked for a Wine and Spirit merchant called Porter Wright and company the Earl, his mother and thier friends used to buy thier booze from us and good customers they were!!!!

They had a lodger called Commander R O B Long who had a very distinguished war record and was played by John Mills in a film the name of which escapes me.

Also the Earl was a friend of Nick Bloxham who later joined the army and became, I believe a General.

All a bit posh a bit nutty but nice people.

Hi Xnia, I remember Porter Wright. and the Commander. I worked at the time as a commi chef at the Sheffield Club at the end of Milk St . The gossip down below stairs was always one or days ahead of the STAR.

Archived