86 members have voted

1. 1. What is the BEST Pub in Broomhill

• THE YORK
    • THE FOX AND DUCK
    • THE SOUTH SEA
    • THE NOTTINGHAM HOUSE
    • THE BROOMHILL TAVERN
    • THE PLACE

I am interested in what residents (students or 'proper locals') think of Pubs in the Broomhill area at the present time. Vote for your fave pub and feel free to air your comments on what is good, or not so good, about the current Broomhill pub scene. Whichever Pub you vote for please give your reason for doing so.

I may be developing an interest in this area and am keen to learn about what the Broomhill community feels about its pub scene. Suggestions for improvements to the pub scene, what is missing, what is duplicated, etc, comments on facilities or any aspects of the pub scene you wish to express a view upon. The Broomhill pub scene, like many, is changing quite a lot, with the most recent Pub to change hands being the Nottingham House which re-opened last week. Other changes of premises are imminent later this year.

Work in Broomhill and often go to the Tav for lunch. Cheap food - friendly people and covenient location..... would prefer it if they did more healthy food though. They do salads but are not v imaginative. Evertything else is fried, with chips or with mounds of cheese. It's good value stodge!

Like the Fox and Duck too as you can take your own lunch. Nothing better than fish and chips and a pint at lunch time!! (maybe i don't really want that healthy food at the tav after all!) But it does often smell of pee!!

Fox And Duck (my favourite).

Still has a good selection of real ales - and, praise be, hand-pulled Magnet. Well-priced too and the pub is comfortable, bright and generally welcoming. I don't like the Bring Your Own Food idea but others clearly do as the pub attracts a mixed bag of customers;

The York

Probably does the best burgers in Broomhill (although I had seriously crozzled chips last time round which they replaced with no fuss). I find their beer range very disappointing and so go for Carlsberg Export which always tastes buttery. The pub is too dark for my liking and I'd welcome it being reverted to the decent, local boozer it once was. Its market is clearly students which gives it another minus point!

The Place

Comfortable and probably the smartest pub. They've had some excellent ales on in here - Marston's Merry Monk!!! - and the food is usually very good value for money. A decent place for Sky Sports and all in all a pretty decent boozer.

The Nottingham House

Not been in for over 2, maybe 3 years. A shed of a place catering for students and I see it's re-opened again. Nothing as yet has tempted me inside and so I can only presume it remains a large, cavernous, soulless place tempting the student to part with some of his loan or overdraft.

South Sea

Run by the same team who have worked such miracles at the Hadfield in Crookesmoor, it appears they've not been able to replicate that success at the South Sea. When I've been in the place has felt cold, empty and although you can see they're trying, it looks like it will for now at least, remain a place to meet people and then go elsewhere. (IIRC, no real ales?)

Broomhill Tavern

I actually like the Tavern but the management over the past 18 years don't like me. I've been barred three times (and possibly derserved it once) and they do seem to have managers and staff who don't like you winning on their machines. Anyway, it's a good pub, decent hand-pulled ales and loads of snacks. It also has that rarity: a juke-box with a decent selection of music.

Add to this, good food. (The current management have either forgotten that I'm barred or weren't the ones who barred me.)

I might reply in more detail later if I have time but for now here is a brief response.

Whole area generally quite good for lunch time pub food (although better prices than quality).

None of the pubs in the area let dogs in :( which doesn't matter to most people but I quite often have mine with me and drive away from Broomhill to somewhere else so he can join me. Pain really as with 6 pubs you would expect at least 1 to.

I hear you've purchased (or are looking to purchase) the York Goldenfleece...?

IMO this is the best pub in Broomhill and currently my 'local' (yes I'm a student - well, not technically at the moment). Yes it's studenty, but it really is one of the best student pubs I know (us students need out pubs too ;)). It doesn't have a great selection of Beer, however is it cheap, has a reasonable Beer garden a good atmosphere and does decent food during the day (i'm not gonna pretend it's anything amazing, but it's decent enough).

If you go ahead with taking over the pub, I have confidence that you'll keep it decent as is the Dove and Rainbow, just whatever you do, please don't turn it into an 'old man' type 'local boozer' (also don't forget your target market in that area will mostly be students...)

Personally I don't think it really needs any changes other than maybe some more interesting beers. I assume that you would not go under the YellowCard franchise that is has at the moment...?

I hear you've purchased (or are looking to purchase) the York Goldenfleece...?

If you go ahead with taking over the pub, I have confidence that you'll keep it decent as is the Dove and Rainbow, just whatever you do, please don't turn it into an 'old man' type 'local boozer' (also don't forget your target market in that area will mostly be students...)

Personally I don't think it really needs any changes other than maybe some more interesting beers. I assume that you would not go under the YellowCard franchise that is has at the moment...?

No its being effectively DE-BRANDED. And no, to answer your other question it would not be an "old mans" pub, but then again, neither would be a 100% student geared operation as this is only PART of the market in this area but not all. The York has a lot of totally unrealized potential...real ales are for certain, and I would anticipate substantially adding to the local range on offer around the area at the present time. Like other pubs all over the UK which were 'screamed' in the early part of this decade, it has lost its true original identity, and needs to be completely re-focused within the community.

No its been effectively DE-BRANDED for sale purposes and is no longer a Scream pub despite the sign outside still proclaiming so. And no, to answer your other question it would not be an "old mans" pub, but then again, neither would be a 100% student geared operation as this is only PART of the market in this area but not all. The York has a lot of totally unrealized potential...real ales are for certain, and I would anticipate substantially adding to the local range on offer around the area at the present time. Like other pubs all over the UK which were 'screamed' in the early part of this decade, it has lost its true original identity, and needs to be completely re-focused within the community.

Ah, I hadn't realised that. So has it already been sold? They're still accepting Yellow Cards in there :confused:

Obviously students are only part of the market, but they are a very large part, especially as there are no other decent student pubs in the area.

You say there's a lot of 'unrealised potential', it needs to be 'community refocused', and it's 'lost it's true identity'. As I've said I just hope this doesn't mean 'it needs turning back into an old mans pub' (you've said it wont... so I'll wait and see).

I'm not trying to slate your plans as we haven't even seen any yet and I'm sure you will do a good job. Just stating my thoughts on the matter :)