86 members have voted

1. 1. What is the BEST Pub in Broomhill

• THE YORK
    • THE FOX AND DUCK
    • THE SOUTH SEA
    • THE NOTTINGHAM HOUSE
    • THE BROOMHILL TAVERN
    • THE PLACE

You say there's a lot of 'unrealised potential', it needs to be 'community refocused', and it's 'lost it's true identity'. As I've said I just hope this doesn't mean 'it needs turning back into an old mans pub' (you've said it wont... so I'll wait and see).

Yet this was the paragraph that warmed the cockles of my heart!:thumbsup:

The Nottingham House

Not been in for over 2, maybe 3 years. A shed of a place catering for students and I see it's re-opened again. Nothing as yet has tempted me inside and so I can only presume it remains a large, cavernous, soulless place tempting the student to part with some of his loan or overdraft.

Just to say that the Notty is worth another look. New management in who have done a good job at the Cobden View in Crookes. Notty looks to be a different style to the Cobden, and not particularly studenty either. Of course, it's still a big pub so it's never going to be cosy, but it should be well run.

Ah, I hadn't realised that. So has it already been sold? They're still accepting Yellow Cards in there :confused:

You say there's a lot of 'unrealised potential', it needs to be 'community refocused', and it's 'lost it's true identity'. As I've said I just hope this doesn't mean 'it needs turning back into an old mans pub' (you've said it wont... so I'll wait and see).

Yes it still accepts yellow cards at present, that will cease when the current M & B Managed House Operation finally moves out. And to re-state, it won't become an old mans pub.....that market is long dead in this area. But it wont remain a student 'discount' type pub either, although students are very significant in this area as the numbers will once again increase in around 18 months when the new student village is complete....and you can bet your bottom dollar the range of products will dramatically be improved.

I'm glad the York is no longer a scream pub. I always used to feel that they were slightly generic. I might pop in at some point and see what its like now

Its not completely de-branded yet, as the sign is still there and the Scream drinks range and food offer is still running and the oil drum lighting is still in place. They have painted out the yellow paint from Scream, but its still a clutter of sofas and mismatched furniture at the present until the Managed House operation finally moves out.....so it is not that much different at present.

Just to say that the Notty is worth another look. New management in who have done a good job at the Cobden View in Crookes. Notty looks to be a different style to the Cobden, and not particularly studenty either. Of course, it's still a big pub so it's never going to be cosy, but it should be well run.

Got to agree with that - went in the Saturday before last and the ale was on top form - he always kept a cracking pint of Deuchars at the Cobden and the pint at the Notty was just as good. Another 3 or 4 beers on handpump as well.

A must try if you're in Broomhill.

Got to agree with that - went in the Saturday before last and the ale was on top form - he always kept a cracking pint of Deuchars at the Cobden and the pint at the Notty was just as good. Another 3 or 4 beers on handpump as well.

A must try if you're in Broomhill.

I went in last week and again last night. It is certainly much brighter and cleaner than it was before and they had 4 real ales on handpull which was a welcoming sight in Broomhill!!!! very quiet, but then a Tuesday night in Broomhill outside term time is not exactly thriving....

I reckon what Broomhill needs is a Rock Pub :hihi:

Just a rumour I heard Goldenfleece.....

I wish....unfortunately its far too a specific concept for a pub in an area like this with a high student market, and Sheffield already has 2 rock pubs anyway.

BTW Goldenfleece, sorry if I came across as overly against the idea earlier. I'm just a bit worried what's gonna happen to one of my favorite pubs (as I'm sure most people would be about theirs).

I'm sure you'll do a great job and i'll be sure to check it out once it's under new management. :thumbsup:

When does the refurb/switching over everything happen?