86 members have voted

1. 1. What is the BEST Pub in Broomhill

• THE YORK
    • THE FOX AND DUCK
    • THE SOUTH SEA
    • THE NOTTINGHAM HOUSE
    • THE BROOMHILL TAVERN
    • THE PLACE

My brother has a book of Old Sheffield featuring photographs from Crookes, Broomhill, Ranmoor and so on. There are some great pictures, including one of the original South Sea pub on the corner where Cream cafe now is (with the then newly built Hallam Towers Hotel in the background). The photograph is dated 1967 and features the original parade of shops across from the Fox And Duck and The York.

I stared long and hard at one of the pictures of the original South Sea, thought about the non-descript, bland, concrete heap which replaced it (fortunately mainly out of sight) and sighed.

Another picture, taken in the 1950s clearly shows the York Hotel with impressive gas lamp hanging above the main (Fulwood Road) door. Fortunately, our wonderful planners seem to have let this superb building slip through their demolish-and-ruin-everything-traditional fingers and it remains.

What an opportunity you have here, Goldenfleece. Grasp it!

Before the planners get their mitts on it and bring it crashing to the ground...., (All in the name of progress, no doubt.)

A good start would be to give the pub its full name back: York Hotel (emphasis on the latter word).

I believe the original sign seen on that photo is in a room on the 2nd floor actually.......there is also an old metal cash tills from the 60's, the ones which are all mechanical buttons with flag signs that pop up in the top window, and which rip your arm off if you too slow moving your hand when the drawer shuts itself at 300 mph!!!!!!

Good luck with the York, GF.

Not been to DNR that often but always impressed with ales on offer. (any chance of Brains SA some time by the way?)

I've only been in The York once but would currently rank it low among Broomhill pubs. The sign outside which said something like "Watch The OC on big screens here" kind of sums up why I never went in (can't think why).

F&D is my current favourite due to ale options and cheapness, but it's looking a bit tatty. Should probably give Tav more of a chance.

South Sea, The Place and Notty don't really appeal.

Having another option in Broomhill would be good. When's it likely to happen?

The only one i regually visit is the tavern, its got good beer, nice staff and a good jukebox, the lack of a beer garden is annoying but at least the bences outside get the sun all day.

The york is ok if you want a cheap drink but the outside is a total eyesore- the windows need opening up again to let some light into the pub, which is a shame as it could be such a nice pub.

The nottingham- will thats just been re-furbed so ill hold my judgement till i have been in

that.

Fox and Duck- Stopped going in there when we were rudely told that we had to take our pizzas outside as it was after 7pm at night even though they had served us drinks at 6.50pm with the boxes in our hands

South sea- still think this pub needs a refurb-its like the york for me.

The place- its a chain pub with crap food- not much else to say really.

The york is ok if you want a cheap drink but the outside is a total eyesore- the windows need opening up again to let some light into the pub, which is a shame as it could be such a nice pub.

Keep watching this space. Unfortunately some of the windows in the middle have effectively been lost when the bar was slightly moved in the 90's.....but I have some plans for lighting to compensate for this...

The Nottingham House is now alive and open for business. Its been totally transformed inside - with lots of money and effort gone in to making it a welcoming pub for people from all walks of life.

Its been taken over by two good friends of mine - Andy and Richie from The Cobden View at Crookes. You will get a friendly welcome, fantastic ales and a great atmosphere.

They have given out a warm welcome to friends old and new - come along and have a nice drink and welcome back another great pub in Broomhill.

You are all very welcome to come on in.