86 members have voted

1. 1. What is the BEST Pub in Broomhill

• THE YORK
    • THE FOX AND DUCK
    • THE SOUTH SEA
    • THE NOTTINGHAM HOUSE
    • THE BROOMHILL TAVERN
    • THE PLACE

I look forward to coming to a tea dance or two, goldenfleece!

Seriously, your plans and ideas look spot-on and it goes without saying, I will 'stick my head in' when you're up and running.

(Get that Cameron Strongarm on, you hear?)

I can promise you that one for sure!! Will add it to my list, remind me later in the year if I forget. Expect AT LEAST 5 cask ales at any one time, the world is our oyster here because we can buy cask ale from whoever we choose..

....expect something a bit more varied than just your standard offerings, just like the Dove.....I personally adore Shepherd Neame ales, such as the gorgeous Bishops Finger, rarely seen up North.....so many eclectic beers out there waiting to be discovered...

Had a good night around Broomhill on Saturday, but missed the York - the one pub I actually wanted to go in! I suppose that's what happens when women turn up on a blokes night - real pubs go out the window. We ended up in The Place instead :rant:. Very unimpressed.

If you manage to get in next time, your views would be welcome.Just to confirm the York will stay as a Scream pub for the next couple of months, and don't expect any changes until October.

GF just wondering what you intend to do about the sports teams who, from what I've heard, bring in a ridiculous amount of money to the York. The downside to this profit is that you have rugby players chucking up and wazzing in the beer garden and generally alienating a lot of people from the pub.

GF just wondering what you intend to do about the sports teams who, from what I've heard, bring in a ridiculous amount of money to the York. The downside to this profit is that you have rugby players chucking up and wazzing in the beer garden and generally alienating a lot of people from the pub.

The University Sports teams do use the York for a lot of their social events. However, we will not tolerate the said behavior you refer to any more, as it clashes with the atmosphere we envisage and will not fit in at all with the new interior for the York. Yes it means losing some custom, but any changeover of any pub often means a radical change in policy, you lose some customers, you gain some customers, so it will balance out.

The current focus of The York is FAR too student orientated for its prolonged survival, hence why its come on the market, that business model does not work any more.

So Sports teams who wish to vomit and urinate will not be welcome, but we will happily accommodate 'better behaved' teams and that standards will be in black and white from day one, and there will be no exceptions. We like people to enjoy themselves but in a controlled manner....The same standards we use at the Dove and Rainbow will apply, albeit in modified form..for example

1) Any one causing excessive annoyance to any other customers or staff or who is perceived as drunk (Licensing Act) or detrimental with the 'pub experience' in any shape or form will be refused service. Repeat behaviour of such or 'refusal to leave' will result in any individual or collection of individuals being BARRED, whoever they are.

I will add to that the complete and without mercy re-enforcement of the Challenge 21 scheme ie NO ID, NO SERVICE....

We will welcome students gladly, well behaved ones, the focus will be on quieter groups of students and NOT drunken sports teams. The York is going to be dramatically different, it HAS to be, so make the most of it NOW if thats your thing because the Scream format in Broomhill will be history....I am going to totally re-invent this Pub from top to bottom.....

The University Sports teams do use the York for a lot of their social events. However, we will not tolerate the said behavior you refer to any more, as it clashes with the atmosphere we envisage and will not fit in at all with the new interior for the York. Yes it means losing some custom, but any changeover of any pub often means a radical change in policy, you lose some customers, you gain some customers, so it will balance out.

The current focus of The York is FAR too student orientated for its prolonged survival, hence why its come on the market, that business model does not work any more.

So Sports teams who wish to vomit and urinate will not be welcome, but we will happily accommodate 'better behaved' teams and that standards will be in black and white from day one, and there will be no exceptions. We like people to enjoy themselves but in a controlled manner....The same standards we use at the Dove and Rainbow will apply, albeit in modified form..for example

1) Any one causing excessive annoyance to any other customers or staff or who is perceived as drunk (Licensing Act) or detrimental with the 'pub experience' in any shape or form will be refused service. Repeat behaviour of such or 'refusal to leave' will result in any individual or collection of individuals being BARRED, whoever they are.

I will add to that the complete and without mercy re-enforcement of the Challenge 21 scheme ie NO ID, NO SERVICE, to address another area that concerns me about the York.

We will welcome students, BUT the focus will be on quieter groups of students rather than drunken sports teams. The York is going to be dramatically different, it HAS to be, so make the most of it NOW if thats your thing because the Scream format in Broomhill will be history....I am going to totally re-invent this Pub

Hahaha dont worry thats not my thing at all! :) I'm really interested to see whats going to happen here as I've drunk at The York for a long time and wouldnt consider going anywhere else in Broomhill really. This isn't because I like the pub as a lot of the probelms you've highlighted are completely correct, its just because I'm good buddies with plenty of the staff there and always have a good time because of this. Good luck fella!

Hahaha dont worry thats not my thing at all! :) I'm really interested to see whats going to happen here as I've drunk at The York for a long time and wouldnt consider going anywhere else in Broomhill really. This isn't because I like the pub as a lot of the probelms you've highlighted are completely correct, its just because I'm good buddies with plenty of the staff there and always have a good time because of this. Good luck fella!

In that case we would welcome you. I think you will find it a far better experience in the future because the current 'problems' which others talk about will be 100% addressed.

I think the drunken sports teams have been shunted from pub to pub, at one time the Notty was their destination, then the Fox and Duck for a while, then the South Sea and Tavern, but I think the York is the ONLY pub in the area at present who tolerates such ant-social and unpleasant behaviour. This is often the case in 'Managed Houses' where weekly targets have to be met and being excessively choosy about customers can be very difficult.

I would like to add at this point that I am not criticizing the present Management of the York at all, I am commenting on the actual ethos of SCREAM here......The York was a thriving 'local' pub that was gutted..... the ONLY thing to do is to create something totally different and fresh. And that I am going to do. Not just the decor, but the whole package.......

I am anxious to track down ANY internal pix taken in THE YORK prior to SCREAM, including when it was O' NEILLS in the 90's........just want to confirm a few details about features of the interior, or indeed if anyone can comment on what was good and what was bad.

There are a number of aspects I am interested in restoring, such as the original COVING which lies beneath the O'Neills clover boarding which is still up, and the wooden sash windows, which are all original (and rotten). Any comments most delightfully received.......someone mentioned on this thread something about shutters on the windows when it was O'neills, is this right?

one of the Dove features are the shuttered windows and so it is part of the 'brand' if you like, and I was thinking of shuttering the York windows internally as an alternative to curtains, shutters can look good if done sensitively.......

And a question to all 'locals' who might consider making this their local pub again after some years as a Scream pub, any other points you want to make about what you want and what you DON'T want, please feel free to air your views.

The way things currently stand, unless any complications arise, is the pub will have its last night as a Scream Pub around 21st October this year, and will stay closed for external and internal works, re-opening Friday 31st October Halloween for a BIG party, although probably open for a private 'sneak preview' on the 30th to invited guests only. More details throughout the Summer and confirmations when i have them.....it would be a pleasure to have Sheffield Forum there on the pre-public opening night.....