86 members have voted

1. 1. What is the BEST Pub in Broomhill

• THE YORK
    • THE FOX AND DUCK
    • THE SOUTH SEA
    • THE NOTTINGHAM HOUSE
    • THE BROOMHILL TAVERN
    • THE PLACE

Is the York goin' to be a rock 'n' real pub?

As in rock 'n' real ale?

Not exactly rock pub thats a bit TOO niche market for Broomhill. Lets just say it will be quite orientated in that area, but also with a lot of cross appeal for its target market. But the real ale will certainly be flowing plentifully, and I believe for the first time in the York since cask ale was phased out for keg beer in the 1960's!!!!! It's an ideal traditional Pub once the yellow paint is history......

I'd like to go to the opening, Im a big fan of the dove, so id be interested to see how the york turns out.. Perhaps a meet thread should be started, a bit closer to the time?

yes indeed.........there will lots of publicity don't worry....something I am quite good at:D

Not exactly rock pub thats a bit TOO niche market for Broomhill.

Yeh y'prob'ly right. If the ale's as good as it is in The Dove though, it'll be ace, even if the music consists of the opening line ('I'm a barbie GIRL!') of Aqua's magnum opus, on a repeating loop! :thumbsup:

I think it sounds great, we will be paying you a visit when you re open it, not a chance of setting foot in it before :-)

I think I know what you mean! had a meeting there today and decided one of the first things to do is to get rid of certain University Sports teams who drink outrageusly discounted beer by the bucketload and vomit over anything that moves. Seen it for myself a few weeks back and I was horrified that the Pub actually tolerates them. It puts off every normal person in the area, those days will be over. :) And that is absolute! Its ironic that while the York takes a lot of money from such teams buying cheap drinks, the level of profit made from such is not worth the effort. A busy pub that makes no money is pointless........never have understood the Scream business model, but perhaps thats why most of them are selling up and the owners of the chain are £350 million in debt.

It's hard to deny the York's key demographic is the students. Half the allure of the York to these students is the cheap drinks and young atmosphere.

Why is it that you insult your potential new customers in other forums by saying that cheap drinks=cheap customers?

Is it fair to assume that everyone that likes to save a bit of money is cheap?

I am offended to say the least.

I have no faith in your new pub, and i don't stand alone when i say so. I think your attitude is shocking, and instead of looking to internet forums for ideas (where limited people read and post) why not speak to the regulars at the York, and the Broomhill locals?

I've seen you both in the York looking round, and i understand the place has a lot of room for improvement, but there is no need to look down at students as you did with me. Never forget they spend the most money in the York.

It's hard to deny the York's key demographic is the students. Half the allure of the York to these students is the cheap drinks and young atmosphere.

Why is it that you insult your potential new customers in other forums by saying that cheap drinks=cheap customers?

I have no faith in your new pub, and i don't stand alone when i say so. I think your attitude is shocking, and instead of looking to internet forums for ideas (where limited people read and post) why not speak to the regulars at the York, and the Broomhill locals?

I've seen you both in the York looking round, and i understand the place has a lot of room for improvement, but there is no need to look down at students as you did with me. Never forget they spend the most money in the York.

Hi,

I think the reason that the students spend the most money in the York is because most other Broomhill regulars don't bother with the place. I'm a Broomhill regular, and know plenty more that have been in the area for 25+ years, and they don't drink in the York anymore - so the pub at present is losing a lot of potential customers, who may well spend a reasonable amount if it was the sort of place they wanted to go to.

Ade

It's hard to deny the York's key demographic is the students. Half the allure of the York to these students is the cheap drinks and young atmosphere.Why is it that you insult your potential new customers in other forums by saying that cheap drinks=cheap customers?

Not looking down at students at all, just the culture of the current pub, which encourages mass drinking binges at bargain basement prices. This is all wrong and against the Licensing Objectives and actually is in breach of the current Premises Licence!!! I see this is your first post and you joined today....assume u work in the York now or are a member of a Sports Team??? I am open to any comments and suggestions..but tell me what YOUR interest is specifically in The York and I can address your issues directly.

I have spoken to many peope in Broomhill, included contacting the Local residents Association, local shops and businesses, the Broomhill Pub Watch Scheme, the Police, etc, so quite how u can say I just use this forum I do not know!!! I assure you the York will be a far better and more attractive place than it is. Yes students spend a small fortune in the York, but at bargain basement prices and the pub makes NO PROFIT because it sells its products too cheap... that is why it was sold off.

It also has NO LOCAL TRADE and anyone would wish to address this problem....Students are 100% welcome, I don't ever recall saying they are not! I am saying quite clearly I am going to end the reign of drunken sports teams in this pub.....that is all. It puts off ALL the locals!!!!! Everyone I have spoken to in Broomhill 'in the flesh' and not on the internet.

.If you look at the population of the other pubs in B'Hill you will see they are all students and local mixes, which is what I feel works best. The appeal of places like the Broomhill Tavern is a good example, that attracts a great mix of old regulars/locals and student groups. The fact is I HAVE to END the £1 a pint nights and all other discount schemes..I have no choice...

Regretfully, if you want reallycheap drinks, its the nearest Weatherspoons from October....not that the York will be EXPENSIVE, just in line with all other Pubs in the area, so in fact, only a SLIGHT price rise, but no yelow card or cheap nights any more.......