86 members have voted

1. 1. What is the BEST Pub in Broomhill

• THE YORK
    • THE FOX AND DUCK
    • THE SOUTH SEA
    • THE NOTTINGHAM HOUSE
    • THE BROOMHILL TAVERN
    • THE PLACE

The York(Scream).PLEASE Goldenfleece work your magic on the boozer! It sorely needs saving. I personally am not a fan when we go in here.

Firstly it's got a smell(dunno what,but it always seems to be there),think it just needs a good clean and freshen up.

Second,yes! get some of those real ales in here quick! you can't go wrong,not with amount of the stuff I've seen students consume in the Fox & Duck!

Thirdly,attract a good mix of people,old, young, locals,students, real ale fans.

Thats basically whats been missing in this place for donkeys years.

Give the folks what they want Goldenfleece!

Will be working on it don't worry. Opinions have been 99% unanimous and thats enough for me!!

Is it me or does it seem incredibly brightly lit in there?

No more lighting than most I reckon - no natural light is going to penetrate as far as the bar area.

Any pub redecorated since the smoking ban is going to look bright.

Grow a skin! And how about answering the questions put to you - you're being asked for your opinion.

I'm not a fan of your lack of capital letters ...

Well said!

Goldenfleece - are you intending to have live music or DJs or anything? It'd be nice to see something like that in Broomhill.

Well said!

Goldenfleece - are you intending to have live music or DJs or anything? It'd be nice to see something like that in Broomhill.

I know this sort of thing seems not to happen in Broomhill much, although the South Seas does live music, as has the Nottingham House I believe. So this does happen in Broomhill, and someone also told me the Place puts on DJ nights but not seen this for myself. Anyone? no plans as such for DJ's or bands, but we may review this.......

if you read my BLOG on the Doveandrainbow site you will see more of this and what I am planning....

the way my thoughts lie currently is a traditional no nonsense 'proper pub', the opposite of the Scream format, a chilled and relaxed atmosphere that will draw back the many many people who currently hate the York. I am not afraid to make a dramatic statement, and do unusual things like bin pool tables and Sky TV, and bin Stella pumps to fill the bar with hand pulls, the Dove and Rainbow did the same and totally confounded a lot of critics who thought it would never work!

Unlike Scream, I am sympathetic to the original building architecture, which has a very very strong 'presence'(I can't put this into words as such).

This building has so much character and charm which has been covered up, partitioned off and turned into redundant space. I believe the way forwards for pubs is...in fact...BACKWARDS.....

In the pre Scream/O'neills days this was a fantastic Pub that had a general mix of 18 to 70 year olds, and rather than alienate anyone over 21 as it does as Scream, that balance will be restored.

My theory is one of the reasons pubs are dropping like dead flies all over the UK is no so much to do with the economy at all....lets just say a good 'proper pub' that is well run and with good beer, and is not pretentious and 'up itself', and has superb friendly staff and quality service, and is selective about its patrons using traditional common sense no nonsense house rules.... is a winner!

No more lighting than most I reckon - no natural light is going to penetrate as far as the bar area.

You are probably right, I went there after The York one night which is the dark hole of Calcutta, so I guess it appeared excessively bright after that.......

I think a live music venue in Broomhill could be a real winner. What are your plans for the 1st floor, surely there's potential for a gig room up there?

Great idea, and I like the concept of multi purpose venues, however, one of the reasons The York creased to be a Hotel some decades ago is the fact that for Public use, the Fire escapes upstairs are not really up to current standards. (the same problem exists at the Dove and Rainbow with the upper floor which is an enormous space)

The York is a very old 19th century building and also the staircases between floors are narrow, steep and twisty, they don't meet modern regulations for public access. (Its like a haunted house upstairs with wierd dark corridors and stairs and odd 1950's wallpaper and 'period' newspapers)

The rooms are massive, but unless I can find a way of improving access, which is a huge investment, this cannot be addressed at the present time. The present Manager has a few rooms on the 1st floor for accommodation, but the rest is empty, and the 2nd floor totally unused.

But once the ground floor is sorted, and that is a lot of work, I will start to think upwards........

goldenfleece - you are obviously very enthusiastic about your new venture, and also about the Dove and Rainbow. I don't think anyone could fault you for this.

However, you occasionally knock other pubs, either in this thread, or the Walkley or Plough ones. Directly or indirectly you are a rival to these businesses and sometimes it can come across, to me at least, in an unfortunate light.

I am not doubting your sincerity, and your enthusiasm for pubs and good beer is obviously heartfelt, but I think you might keep your comments in check when criticising other pubs. I believe it would assist you in generating goodwill for your ventures, if you weren't seen to be badmouthing other pubs in the area.