86 members have voted

1. 1. What is the BEST Pub in Broomhill

• THE YORK
    • THE FOX AND DUCK
    • THE SOUTH SEA
    • THE NOTTINGHAM HOUSE
    • THE BROOMHILL TAVERN
    • THE PLACE

Great idea, and I like the concept of multi purpose venues, however, one of the reasons The York creased to be a Hotel some decades ago is the fact that for Public use, the Fire escapes upstairs are not really up to current standards. (the same problem exists at the Dove and Rainbow with the upper floor which is an enormous space)

The York is a very old 19th century building and also the staircases between floors are narrow, steep and twisty, they don't meet modern regulations for public access. (Its like a haunted house upstairs with wierd dark corridors and stairs and odd 1950's wallpaper and 'period' newspapers)

The rooms are massive, but unless I can find a way of improving access, which is a huge investment, this cannot be addressed at the present time. The present Manager has a few rooms on the 1st floor for accommodation, but the rest is empty, and the 2nd floor totally unused.

But once the ground floor is sorted, and that is a lot of work, I will start to think upwards........

I'm a chartered H&S professional. Anytime you want any free H&S or fire safety advice, let me know. I'll do it for beer. I have contacts in S Yorks Fire & Rescue.

Sorry didn't comment on the others.

I haven't been into Broomhill for a drink for ages, apart from above so am not really up to date, they all seem OK.

Though having walked past the York recently it is in dire need of something doing to it. Looking through on a Saturday morning before it opened and there is all the stuffing coming out of the seating, it was dark and no sign of a cleaner or it having been cleaned for ages.

Tavern always seems to have people sat outside it.

The Place always has people outside though some look a bit dubious sometimes, and if i'm driving am always waiting for someone to jump in front of the car.

The South Seas is in the wrong place round the back there and always strikes me as a bit rough. I know this is used by quite a few school kids, another reason for not going in.

Fox and Duck always seems OK. Not been in for ages.

I like the Notty. I would feel OK as a woman going in here on me own and sitting and reading on a saturday afternoon, not many pubs you can say that about.

Sorry didn't comment on the others.

Though having walked past the York recently it is in dire need of something doing to it. Looking through on a Saturday morning before it opened and there is all the stuffing coming out of the seating, it was dark and no sign of a cleaner or it having been cleaned for ages.

yes it is very dirty and unloved. I was quite shocked how bad it was. Our standards are far higher than that and I promise everyone the York is going to be so different you wont believe it!!!!If ever a pub could be completely re-invented, then the time has finally come for The York.

The South Seas is in the wrong place round the back there and always strikes me as a bit rough. I know this is used by quite a few school kids, another reason for not going in..

credit to the South Sea, the decor is far more pleasing to the eye than when it was a dreaded yellow Scream pub..I have been in three times and no evidence of 'school kids' to be found, which is always good news....

I have heard from many the York is the current 'kiddie' pub: its still a Scream bar for the next 10 weeks ......We will be Challenge 21 all the way, with no exceptions...so don't forget to add us to the list to.....

Fuzzy.

You seem to know Broomhill well. When was the last time you went in The South Sea?

Must admit a fair while, as i got sick of seeing kids from school on my nights out. Though it does them no good to be overheard saying 'Hi Miss'.

Fuzzy

It would be nice if the comments that you post are based on up to date opinions.

The South Sea changed hands 18 months ago and we have worked hard to rid it of the bad reputation that it had. Comments like yours can cause a lot of damage. Whilst I agree that everyone is entitled to there own opinion it should be based on up to date facts. Pleased feel free to visit again soon and post what you find. Then it will be relevant not based of what you thought it was like in the past.

Don't forget to vote for a date on the unofficial Broomhill meet thread in evenings out, people (currentlyu looking like August 29) so we can see for ourselves..! I've never been in the South Sea, so it will be good to try it.

I have said on the posts i have made that i haven't been in for ages. Other people on the thread have done the same.

I'm glad it's been taken over and done up, i'l pop in and have a look.

Many pubs around Crookes and Broomhill and im sure all round town have underagers in not just yours I know that. Hopefully you will all stick to the under 21 check, and your staff will do as well. Having worked in a bar i know one of the most difficult things is to ask someone you suspect of being underage for ID, but it has to start being done more.