86 members have voted

1. 1. What is the BEST Pub in Broomhill

• THE YORK
    • THE FOX AND DUCK
    • THE SOUTH SEA
    • THE NOTTINGHAM HOUSE
    • THE BROOMHILL TAVERN
    • THE PLACE

I see the awful yellow paint has gone, that's a good sign already. Is it worth venturing in again yet GF?

Last time I went in (about 6 months ago) I thought this could be a nice proper pub again one day. I never bothered going in when it was O'Neills and was never keen to try the Scream version, but I was on a pub crawl in Broomhill so had to try it. No proper beer of course, so that put me off straight away and too much aimed at students only for an area that has many types of people passing through it. Been in many worse pubs though and the building is a nice one so fingers crossed.r.

Only today, after much negotiations, was a final agreement on price reached and a deal made, 'subject to contract' and surveyors report, I hope to take it over around the middle of October,

But rest assured, cask ale in abundance and a new look.......

Only today, after much negotiations, was a final agreement on price reached and a deal made, 'subject to contract' and surveyors report, I hope to take it over around the middle of October, close it for a week for works to be done, and re-open....

congratulations, goldenfleece, i can't think of a better person for the job; you're an inspiration.

I am interested in what residents (students or 'proper locals') think of Pubs in the Broomhill area at the present time. Vote for your fave pub and feel free to air your comments on what is good, or not so good, about the current Broomhill pub scene. Whichever Pub you vote for please give your reason for doing so.

I may be developing an interest in this area and am keen to learn about what the Broomhill community feels about its pub scene. Suggestions for improvements to the pub scene, what is missing, what is duplicated, etc, comments on facilities or any aspects of the pub scene you wish to express a view upon. The Broomhill pub scene, like many, is changing quite a lot, with the most recent Pub to change hands being the Nottingham House which re-opened last week. Other changes of premises are imminent later this year.

I haven't voted. I'll explain why.

I normally go into the fox and duck, about once a week after training. It's a good choice for a large group because we can generally find seating after a while or sit outside (if we can avoid the smokers). The service is generally quick.

Personally I'd probably rather we went to the Broomhill tavern, but that's a longer walk and not as big a place.

We don't go to the nottingham house because it's being/has been refitted and before that it always felt a little bit soleless.

We don't go to the scream pub because it's a bit like a dark cavern and it's full of hockey club people on the same night we train, who are (apparently) just a bit noisy.

I thought carrying ID was part of modern life now......

Awaits someone using the phrases 'nulabour' and 'police state' :-)

Getting rid of screaming kids from any pub is always a good idea (I'm assuming you mean unaccompanied underage kids as opposed to tiny kids with their parents?)

Awaits someone using the phrases 'nulabour' and 'police state' :-)

Getting rid of screaming kids from any pub is always a good idea (I'm assuming you mean unaccompanied underage kids as opposed to tiny kids with their parents?)

yeah The York seems to have a reputation as a 'kiddie' pub, which is too extreme towards one end of the market

I look forward to coming to a tea dance or two, goldenfleece!

Seriously, your plans and ideas look spot-on and it goes without saying, I will 'stick my head in' when you're up and running.

(Get that Cameron Strongarm on, you hear?)