Small business wins in county court

Nice to see a small business win in court.

Today I had the pleasure of attending county court to support a friend of mine who is a member on here (I will leave it to him if he wants to identify himself) challenge a Hotel which is a limited company, for cancelling entertainment within 2 days of the events, where the terms set out are for full fee if cancelled within 7 days.

Even though this was a obvious breach of contract, the sheer ignorance of the Hotel that they could not be bothered to turn up for the first hearing, which resulted in Judgement being granted to the Entertaintment Company, only when they then got the Judgement through the post, they then managed to get the Judgement set aside and try to hide behind the fact they are a limited company.

the judge saw through this today and rightfully made the correct Judgement Again.

and has now cost the Hotel even more in costs.

The point is, it's nice to see a small business come out on top against the big fish, as too many small business are put out of business due to the disregard of larger companies.

Point taken Ripsaw, and I'm sure my mate will name them, and I would gladly be of assistance to any other small business in similar circumstances, my advice at this stage to them is press ahead and don't let the big companies get away with it, they will hope that you will just forget about it and move on, or go bust!

If you do name the hotel, I suspect the thread will vanish rather quickly :)

Yes i think you are right there, even though unfair.

I think it should be allowed to be named, so that any future involvement with the hotel and another small business, would allow the small business to be more aware of the business relationship in the past enabeling them to word out terms and conditions to cover them.

Yes i think you are right there, even though unfair.

I think it should be allowed to be named, so that any future involvement with the hotel and another small business, would allow the small business to be more aware of the business relationship in the past enabeling them to word out terms and conditions to cover them.

The judgment's a matter of public record, so that possibility is already covered. The rules about naming and shaming apply not to the public domain, but merely to this - privately owned - forum.

Archived