Broken wrist advice

I had a motorbike accident back when I was a learner, I didn't know to get as far from the bike as possible and hung on, the brake lever went through my right wrist and smashed it good and proper, I had a genius surgeon which is good as people were looking at me and the X-Ray and then asking me if I was left handed a lot which was beginning to worry me

he put it back together like a 3d jigsaw then they put me in a cast that left my fingers and thumb usable

it took about two months to get the plaster off and a couple of months of physio, not counting the stretching and pulling exercises I did at home

also the bone shrank back a little during healing, so the plate ended up stopping me from moving my hand forward (palm to wrist direction), which my physio spotted when she got the X-Rays, so they had to take it out, cue more physio for a month or so

I've got back around 95% of the movement if I keep my elbows at my side and hold my hands out palms up then turn my hands over my right hand stops with about a 15-20 degree angle of being flat, plus I have a scar that looks like a centipede died on my arm

taught me not to hang on in future and yes I still ride

• 2 years later...

I've had corrective surgery on my wrist (I broke it 3 years ago) a piece of bone has been taken from my hip and I'm now struggling to walk, although it has only been 2 weeks it's still quite painful, has anyone else had this done I wondered how long before I can walk properly?

I had a classic dinnerfork break when I crashed a go cart - that was pinned and plated. Took me I guess about 3 months before pain and loss of power started to resolve and was a good nine months before I could go rock climbing again.

If you have had pinning and plates etc then it will take longer - it's just something to be aware of I'm afraid.

Also remember that you will need a letter etc for airport secruity to ease the metal detector rigmarole....

I've had corrective surgery on my wrist (I broke it 3 years ago) a piece of bone has been taken from my hip and I'm now struggling to walk, although it has only been 2 weeks it's still quite painful, has anyone else had this done I wondered how long before I can walk properly?

That's exactly what I did. Walking was a bit painful, and I got very tired very quickly for quite a while afterwards. Just be patient, but don't stop moving and I hope it will ease up for you soon :) I have no problems at all with my hip now (although my wrist remains troublesome!)

I've never had a problem getting my plate through an airport. I've only ever alerted one metal detector, and a quick flash of the scar was all it took for them to let me go through...

A friend of mine broke her wrist, she slipped on a restaurant floor and had to stay with her son in Kent, she couldn't drive - this was three months ago, I saw her today her wrist is out of a cast but she has to go weekly to a hospital for physio, she can drive now though

4 weeks ago i fell and broke my wrist,had 2 have an operation to put metal plate in it,can anyone who has had this happen to them please tell me how long it took to get the wrist back to anywhere near normal,i know its early days yet but im already getting frustrated because the physio im doing at home doesnt seem to be helping,although i know it must be

I also got very frustrated wnen I broke my wrist.:o

I had a piece of bone taken from my hip for ankle surgery and they damaged a nerve and I now have no feeling in my hip and thigh after 4 years. I can walk fine though and no pain.

Archived