Blades - our poor crowds

townblade

My boss has given me the day off work due to adverse weather conditions. Hurray!!

So with some spare time on my hands I was reading the sports section in the morning paper. I came across the match attendance Wednesday night for that team in Sheffield 6 for the Peterbough game. It was 19,686!

My point is the weather was atrocious Wednesday night. Driving snow and very cold. This all makes for very bad travelling conditions. Yet well over 19,000 braved these conditions to see their team play against a team from the bottom of league 1. It pains me to say this but that is true loyalty. But hey we play Rotherham on Saturday and couple of thousand miller fans should help bump up our attendance figures and we may even get a few of our part-timers because it’s a local derby.

This is not ago at the fans who work on match days or who are ill, or who are out of work or skint or anyone else who has a valid reason. This is a go at the so-called fans that could go and support our team but can’t be bothered.

I know what your saying, I go everytime I can. I would buy a season ticket as it probably works out cheaper for me but I can not go every game through work. I am a kop membership holder, super draw member and loyal supporter. We have been in this division longer than anyone else and a lot of people are not prepared to pay £20+ for tickets when we don't have the big draw name players (granted we have talent of prem' quality) like some of the other clubs have. When Wendy can't get in the prem and are stuck in this or lower division crowds will dwindle eventually. Only when we are in the prem we will fill the ground, but even that will be against Arsenal, Man U, Chelsea, etc.

Wednesday have a bigger fanbase but to there sucess in recent times - thats not a debated point- its a fact- but with the recent demise of them into division 2 and the good form of united i think that in a couple of years we might be the team with the most fans.

The only problem about united is that us fans are very fickle andwe tend to get on the clubs back about most things if we loseeven one game- booing at 1/2 time and stuff like that- that doesn't help!!!

They need to lower prices for kids to sit on the kop for £7 and fill it with youngsters who will go and sing and get some atmosphere in the ground again!!! Cos when we start singing we are one of the loudest in the country bar man u and sunderland!!!

Originally posted by duffman

I know what your saying, I go everytime I can. I would buy a season ticket as it probably works out cheaper for me but I can not go every game through work. I am a kop membership holder, super draw member and loyal supporter. We have been in this division longer than anyone else and a lot of people are not prepared to pay £20+ for tickets when we don't have the big draw name players (granted we have talent of prem' quality) like some of the other clubs have. When Wendy can't get in the prem and are stuck in this or lower division crowds will dwindle eventually. Only when we are in the prem we will fill the ground, but even that will be against Arsenal, Man U, Chelsea, etc.

Hello Duffman and thanks for your reply.

We have a mate who is in a similar position to you. He’s not in a well-paid job and to help out his wife sometimes gets casual work on Saturdays. If this falls on a match day it means he has to miss the match to look after his kids. But I count you both as loyal fans as you get to the matches as and when you can.

To be honest I only just managed to get my season ticket this year.

Hi

Just to add to the poor crowd issue - in our family there are 5 of us, me, hubby, 1 child and 2 step kids. Very dear do for us all to go to matches!

Not only do you have the match tickets (do get concessions for 2 of the kids), it's the cost of the whole occassion.

Pub 1st, drinks & snacks in the ground and programs for each kid! (and me!).

We go to the matches that we can - sometimes not taking the kids otherwise we wouldn't get at all.

Went to Arsenal, £132 just for tickets, then petrol, tube tickets, food etc!

Personally i think the tickets should be cheaper all round - reduce the cost - build up a bigger fanbase! We need more kids attending as they are the future supporters of the club.

Enough moaning from me - lunchtime time is over - back to work!

Originally posted by scottf

The only problem about united is that us fans are very fickle andwe tend to get on the clubs back about most things if we loseeven one game- booing at 1/2 time and stuff like that- that doesn't help!!!

I agree with you about some of our fans. Some sections of the crowd soon get on the teams back and if we hit bad form (like now) even some of the season ticket holders stop attending, as witnessed by the empty seats around us. Yes we have been in this division for far too long and no matter how the powers to be keep restructuring it it’s still the second division.

There was a website with a questionaire about football and spending by the fans, it worked out how much you were worth to your club in a season. I used all my 2002/3 season figures and it was a lot of money for me, I can imagine the cost for a family as all my dads side are blades so we all go and there are a lot of kids. It is expensive and we have not made the Premiership yet, it worries me how much it would be if we were.

To be honest if we did go up we would be the premierships tonking boys wouldn't we- the only way we are going to stay up is by going up then coming down a couple of times- then maybe we could afford some good quality players!!!! Until then i don't think we will be getting more than 20,000 on saturdays.

Originally posted by bevb

Hi

Just to add to the poor crowd issue - in our family there are 5 of us, me, hubby, 1 child and 2 step kids. Very dear do for us all to go to matches!

Not only do you have the match tickets (do get concessions for 2 of the kids), it's the cost of the whole occassion.

Pub 1st, drinks & snacks in the ground and programs for each kid! (and me!).

We go to the matches that we can - sometimes not taking the kids otherwise we wouldn't get at all.

Went to Arsenal, £132 just for tickets, then petrol, tube tickets, food etc!

Personally i think the tickets should be cheaper all round - reduce the cost - build up a bigger fanbase! We need more kids attending as they are the future supporters of the club.

Yes bev it's an expensive do nowerdays. My mates and I sometimes cut out the pre-match drink. Arsenal ticket prices were far too high. I didn't go to the match (hangs head in shame). I really didn't have the money. But I will be there for the reply and I hope we charge Arsenal £40 for the thier tickets.

Archived