Waitrose car park development

Can't imagine whyt anyone would want to live in a pokey city centre flat so close to all that traffic and air pollution and only a view of a car park or adjacent tower blocks, but they obviously think there's a market for these things still...

the scheme will include approximately 60 apartments constructed to a high quality using sustainable materials
By high quality, you mean steel, glass and blue cladding don't you? that's not high quality, that's cheap ;)

For the record, where they want to build that 'thing' was only boredering Ward's Brewer, site which has already been ruined by that other 'thing' with the 10 year old unused bay windowed shop unit. Where they want to build this is where Coop S&E used to be (as well as my great grandma's sweet shop). This soulest pile of tosh relfects nothing more the rest of tosh that's being built around town (Wicker, eeew).

Indeed, between 2001 and 2005, the City Centre’s resident population increased by 34% to over 5,200 persons. Such growth has challenged Sheffield City Council and its partners to better understand the dynamics of the residential market
Had they not built over all the carparks they'd understand.

I''m sure it's another lovely, well designed and simply delightful project, but let's just NOT put any more high rise blocks up around there - all the streets are becoming narrow, dark canyons.

Where will the recycling go?

And how many more blocks of flats do we want to cram in without any attempts at open or communal spaces?

What about water and drains? The increase in population density in that particular spot must be reaching the limits of what the current systems can sustain.

By high quality, you mean steel, glass and blue cladding don't you? that's not high quality, that's cheap ;)

For the record, where they want to build that 'thing' was only boredering Ward's Brewer, site which has already been ruined by that other 'thing' with the 10 year old unused bay windowed shop unit. Where they want to build this is where Coop S&E used to be (as well as my great grandma's sweet shop). This soulest pile of tosh relfects nothing more the rest of tosh that's being built around town (Wicker, eeew).Had they not built over all the carparks they'd understand.

My god you sound bitter. :huh:

My god you sound bitter. :huh:

Well the old S & E Coop was a magnificent building! I just wish I could find a decent photo of it.

And no one knows what happened to the three giant polychrome faience rosettes that toped the columns on the building. They were on display in the entranceway to the supermarket when it was a Safeway, then disappeared during the changeover to Waitrose.

I bet some builder recognised their value and swiped them.

I know the Co-op was a very grand building, and I wish it was still here just as much as anyone, but it was demolished way back when so there's not point still being bitter and blaming the current spate of development on it.

I'll not even start on the comment about all the beautiful surface car parks :gag: we used to have instead of these useless glass and steel monstrosities :rolleyes:

Well the old S & E Coop was a magnificent building! I just wish I could find a decent photo of it.

And no one knows what happened to the three giant polychrome faience rosettes that toped the columns on the building. They were on display in the entranceway to the supermarket when it was a Safeway, then disappeared during the changeover to Waitrose.

I bet some builder recognised their value and swiped them.

http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&q=sheffield%20%26%20ecclesall%20co-op&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

http://www.ids.u-net.com/cash/sheffield.htm

Archived