The Forum extension over public road

Originally posted by Geoff

Drinking in public places is illegal, so you would have to take that one up with the government. What's the name of that really 'old' looking pub right in the centre of Manchester, opposite Selfridges? Well anyway, I was there this summer and they had security guards to ensure you didn't leave their beer 'garden' - they certainly had their work cut out for them.

Is it? You sure about that?

It's certainly illegal in Manchester city centre (has been for 3 years now!) and a lot of cities have also passed similar by-laws - perhaps Sheffield hasn't?

Edit: Seems that they were given the power to impose bans under section 13 of the Criminal Justice and Police Act.

Let me know if you need any further info :)

Edit 2: Still nothing regarding Sheffield, but they are banning it in Leeds so I guess it might be here soon.

Originally posted by Pete1024

More recently, the forum has expanded, onto a piece of the PUBLIC HIGHWAY! WTF? Anyone in the pub trade or development industry will tell you "You cannot buy public highway!"

What happened here? The closure of this piece of road ONLY benefited forum and not any of the other land owners down that street.

The Council actually own the Forum and lease it to the operator. Maybe they are just looking after thier own interests - now THAT would be just like Sheffield Council.

I suspect the extension and changes to the road were bundled into the package of generally tarting up Division Street, when they redid the pavements.

The problem is we do not hear about such plans unless the local press report them.

However something you may not know is that every Monday the council publish a weekly bulletin with all the planning permission applications on their website, which they have to be applauded for. The weekly bulletin can be found at http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/in-your-area/planning-applications-and-weekly-list

A spokesperson from Development Services at the council has replied with the following statement:

In 1997, The Forum applied for planning permission to build an outdoor terrace on highway land at the top of Eldon Street. This was found to be acceptable on its planning merits, and planning permission was granted (Application No 97/1269, Decision Notice dated 16 September 1998 ). They later applied to enclose most of the terrace in a glass extension of modern design. This was revised a number of times, but again was found acceptable on its planning merits and permission was granted (Application No 9A/0476P, Decision Notice dated 29 May 2001).

Neither permission could be implemented without a road closure order under the Highways Acts. This procedure was carried through as I understand it, with various requirements including the provision of a turning head on Eldon Street, reconstruction of footways, and provision of a cycle route connecting Eldon Street and Devonshire Street.

The idea was much talked about long before the first permission was applied for, as part of the effort to improve the facilities and attractions of Devonshire Green.

• 1 month later...

Just to bring this thread up to date - the Spar on Eldon Street has now gone out of business. Blocking the road clearly affected its trade though I would imagine the new Tesco's and Budgens to have had some impact.

g

Archived