The Forum extension over public road

• 3 weeks later...

The forum is a nuisance! There is a fight outside of that place nearly every night (including weekdays), and more often than not the police have to come to sort it out. I think this is a huge waste of resources - I once saw 10 police vehicles outside there! The bouncers there don't seem to help much either, they either hide, run away, or offer someone out around the corner.

The pity is that Division St wasn't closed completely to traffic when the refurbishment took place, due to cowardly Lib Dem politicians. This would have made it a pleasant place to shop and attracted more trade. The so-called "traffic" mainly consists of drug-dealer assholes screeching up and down with their boom-boxes at ear-splitting levels. Sensible people, if they have to drive, leave their cars in the car park and walk.

Not sure what he means, but a guess I think he's saying that they were too worried about the reaction from local businesses if the council had closed the road. However, having walked down there on a busy Saturday, I think closing off the forum end of the street would probably be quite a good idea. You could close and pave over the road between West One down to that green pub place, the Frog & Parrot or whatever it's called (I always forget!).

• 10 months later...
Originally posted by Geoff

What's the name of that really 'old' looking pub right in the centre of Manchester, opposite Selfridges?

Its Sinclairs Oyster Bar, there is another 'old' pub next to it and they share the same beer garden.

Originally posted by Geoff

Drinking in public places is illegal

It was never illegal in Sheffield.

I believe that outdoor drinking is a local issue which local authorities have their own disgression over. Many towns have always had Bye Laws preventing people from walking about with alcohol, but sheffield never did.

Just recently however Our local council has introduced, or will be introducing, some new no drinking zones, so that winos can be moved on. One is down by the markets. I wouldn't have thought that they would prevent people from drinking on the green itself because of the tents, bands and stalls they have there in the summer.

Probably just cynical old me but I do find it very odd that a private business gets permission to close an entire road just so it can expand. Whether the premises are owned and leased by the council or not, closing a public highway just so a bar can take more money is certainly not something I've ever come across before.

Did someone mention salmon?

Archived