What do you wear in sheffield

StJohn

I am an expat who hasn't been home for a long time

I currently live in a place were everyone wears shorts all the time in the summer even to go to the bar and eat, I have maybe wore a pair of long trousers twice in the last month.

But in prepping for England I tried asking my dad what people wear out in Sheffield these days. I was sternly told he would be seen dead with me in the pub if I wore shorts (he's old school), So if anyone can enlighten me, have things changed? Do I need trousers, no jeans, collared shirt and no trainers to go downtown on the weekend. Are flip-flops in the pub allowed? or will I just get "look at that Tw*t" when I go out?

StJohn

Yes, you'll look like a ****.

Seriously, there's not many days when flip flops and shorts are needed in the evening because we don't get so many days when it's that hot. I just hope some of those days come along soon because this summer has been on the cool side so far.

If you're used to a warm climate you're going to be shivering here and wanting to wrap up warm in long trousers and something wooly!

to be honest you'll get along fine with a pair of jeans and shoes. as alastair mentions unfortunately the sun isn't out too much. As for how smart you look when you go out as with everywhere in the world it depends where your going. Some bars may only let you in if your dressed smartly in a shirt nice and shoes whilst other will turn you away if you wear a shirt

I've just read your signature. Are you from the States? I would go for similar looks like those models who wears Dockers, or Gap clothings. Smart casual, but not bare flesh like an Australian out in the bush type guy with shorts.

Sheffield is still an inner city kind of place, and it doesn't get that sunny compared to a lot of other cities. I don't think I've even seen a guy in shorts, or unless you can carry it off, and still look manly! :hihi: If you do, go for chino shorts, at least to the knee type. If you don't have much hair, then don't go for shorts, cos I can just imagine your poor old dad being embarassed by it and gets ripped by his mates or something. :hihi:

Of course you should't wear shorts and flip flops! A sarong and UGG boots is where it's at in Sheffield this season - twin it with an a la mode 80s jacket in lime green (sleeves rolled up Don Johnson style if you are really cutting edge) and you will turn heads.

Archived