Digital radio versus FM radio ... which one will lose?

The DAB consortium wish to push it on everyone by force despite it being an abject commercial failure with no real value over fm.

They wish to do so because it is CHEAPER to run. Hence my "stealth tax" comment.

PS - I thought Ousetunes had the better title.

'Ousetunes doesn't do late.

'But if he did......,':hihi:

Lager or bitter, max? (nudge, nudge, wink, wink!):hihi:

These "Merged Thread" thingy's have to follow the time signal according to the pips on DAB radio.

If they didn't it'd upset the oft historically mentioned "Forum Clock", whatever that is! :confused:

But let's not pursue that point, please, on threat of an instant ban. :confused:

ps I did ask someone ages ago, but never received an answer.

They were eliminated. I was there.

Hence my warning on my previous post, Phan. Must've been a blood bath. :hihi:

Let's get back to the topic at hand though, please.

I've never heard DAB Radio but at one time I was considering a cute-looking very small portable one on sale in Comet a year or so ago.

The salesman told me that it would only work best in a strong reception area. So I sacked the idea off.

I listen in at night to one AM station via my clock radio. The interference from continental stations and fade-out levels are horrific during the summer.

Mind, the Ovaltinies on Radio Luxemberg used to be the same when I was a kid. :hihi:

They wish to do so because it is CHEAPER to run. Hence my "stealth tax" comment.

I don't think that it is cheaper, but Governments the world over have realised that you can get more signal into a smaller bandwidth than analogue.

They have then sold the rights to that bandwidth for hundreds of billions to the broadcasting industry who are seemingly desperately trying to diversify to have a niche radio / tv station for each and every individual in the world - a bit like Mercedes with their cars. :hihi:

There is only small snag - apart from a few shining lights it's crap.

Radio 6 music is fabulous, Forces Radio is surprisingly good (try it) and the World Service is easy to find... but as a result it is increasingly difficult to get on sw/am :(

But, why can't we have Radio 5 on FM?

Radio 6 on FM?

World Service on FM?

Ah yes... the Government doesn't get the money.

Archived