Light Bulb Hoarding

Are you hoarding proper light bulbs for when they get banned by the greenies?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7480958.stm

We use a 100w or higher incandescent bulb in our front room because it has a high ceiling, a dimmer switch and we're in there a lot. But they are a swine to find! If we have to make do with a 60w then we have to go round the house looking for table lamps and have them on too, using much more electricity.

From the article:

The 150w, in particular, is seriously rare. They're gone from Tesco. Morrisons have already chosen to ditch them, with 100w to follow in the autumn and 60w next year.

So the proper bulbs may go altogether!

Who else isn't looking forwards to the 'new Dark Age'? ;)

I'm hoarding light bulbs because the ones I bring from former houses never seem to fit any lights in the next one. I've got a box full of various light bulbs boxed and unboxed and I refuse to throw them away as they may fit in a future house.

I use the new greener bulbs wherever possible, it's my planet and I'd like to help preserve it and life on it if possible.

The people that make these decisions mustn't have a 'Big Light' in their front rooms, just a tonne of piddly, fiddly wall lamps. My dad had those - 10 wall lamps that he (occasionally, because he was tight) put 40w or 60w bulbs in. I have just one Big Light, and you cannot see your own feet, let alone read a book under a 60w bulb. It's like being in Tenko.

I'd send my old incandescent light bulbs to you in a heartbeat! We've replaced just about every light in our house with the CFL's and NO ONE wants the old bulbs. :(

I guess no one reads in your house then Sierra :D

I've got a huge box full of the energy saving ones that won't fit into many of the light fittings in my house- Motability keep sending me them, then Yorkshire Electricity sent some, then the Warm Front people sent me another 8, then ...

The problem with this is that the light fittings that they work with already had energy saving bulbs in, and of course they take forever and a day to need replacing, by which point I've been sent at least 4 new bulbs for each new one that I need.

Yes, I'm a bulb hoarder. I have a good stock of proper incandescent 150W bulbs now that they are illegal to sell. I need them so I can read at night as my eyesight isn't what it was when I was younger. It says a lot about this government that they can ban a light bulb. How many piddly micro-management regulations do we need?

I tried a 150 W equivalent CFL bulb rated at 30W, but the light it put out was a stark cold pale blue colour and unacceptable in a living room. I'm sure it wasn't anywhere near the brightness of a 150W incandescent either. It's now down in the cellar.

Anyone wanting proper light bulbs should stock up on eBay where they are still for sale -

http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&dfsp=2&satitle=150W&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&sadis=200&fpos=S11+9HR&sabfmts=1&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&seller=1&sass=ws111eb&fsop=2%26fsoo%3D2&fgtp=

Archived