Light Bulb Hoarding

The people that make these decisions mustn't have a 'Big Light' in their front rooms, just a tonne of piddly, fiddly wall lamps. My dad had those - 10 wall lamps that he (occasionally, because he was tight) put 40w or 60w bulbs in. I have just one Big Light, and you cannot see your own feet, let alone read a book under a 60w bulb. It's like being in Tenko.

:hihi::hihi::hihi: at least with a big light you can see your garlic bread and cheesecake :hihi::hihi::hihi:

i've got a couple of 'green' bulbs. but since finding out they have mercury in and hence are toxic if they break, i'm not sure i'll get any more. certainly not until there's a way of disposing of old ones that doesn't involve sending poisonous heavy metal to landfill.

another government policy not thought through. do have to wonder what they'll get round to banning next - umbrellas wouldn't surprise me.

i've got a couple of 'green' bulbs. but since finding out they have mercury in and hence are toxic if they break, i'm not sure i'll get any more. certainly not until there's a way of disposing of old ones that doesn't involve sending poisonous heavy metal to landfill.

another government policy not thought through. do have to wonder what they'll get round to banning next - umbrellas wouldn't surprise me.

It's not quite as simple as that. Coal powered energy production emits mercury directly into the atmosphere so the less energy you use to light your home the less mercury is emitted into the atmosphere as a result. If CFLs are disposed of correctly the mercury isn't such a problem.

Our house is new and the builders are under some sort of government requirement to fit 50% of energy saving light fittings. So we have half the lights in the house which fit normal bulbs or the standard bayonet 2 pin energy savers and then a bunch of 3 pin boayonet engery savers for which we cannot find replacement bulbs anywhere.

So, we've stipped out the fittings and replaced them with normal ones or full fan lights and put our own energy saving bulbs in. It's an easy job and the bulbs last so much longer and they're cheap.

The only cost I dislike is the mini curled energy savers which cost almost £4 each and we need 8 of them :( the normal bulbs are a lot cheaper in that case!

:hihi::hihi::hihi: at least with a big light you can see your garlic bread and cheesecake :hihi::hihi::hihi:

These things are important ;)

Seriously are they going to ban them entirely? Or will you still be able to get low wattage ones for lamps and so on? Doesn't make sense if people suddenly have to chuck out millions of perfectly good lamps.

Will you still be able to have halogen lights? I have an awesome halogen reading lamp...

Ive got a box load of 'normal' 100w, 60w and 40w ..... all different shapes, sizes and fittings from where Ive replaced them with low energy ones, i dont like having to wait for light .... and im not keen on the green alternatives, but there better for the environment and better for my bills, so i'll stick with it.... but what do i do with my box of perfectly ok bulbs? ..... are they recyclable?

Archived