Martin Street, Upperthorpe

Sorry no old photos but wondered if anyone knew my grandma and granddad, Elsie and Jack Thompson who ran a tabacconists/ sweet shop at 16 Martin street. The shop was on the corner with Bond St. Think they must have moved their in the 1920s when my grandad lost his thumb in a factory accident, got the sack and small amoung of compensation which enabled them to buy the shop. My dad, Walter grew up there and went to Crooksmoor school, starting there in 1921.

My grandparents were rehoused to Ironside Walk, Gleedless Valley in the 1950s. My grandma loved it there as she had an indoor toilet and bathroom but granddad was not so keen.

• 3 weeks later...
coltsever

thanks for the reply back, in the book one of them sets fire to a post box on martin street,does your dad know who actually did it? fred, dennis, lawrence or pete marshall???

Hi Mick851, I spoke to my dad yesterday and he told me it wasnt Fred he hit. Apparently it was Aistrop. Aistrop being a bit older than my dad had hit him on his way home from school. My dad went home crying and his dad chucked him out again telling him to sort it. Aistrop then hit him once more. So again my dad went home with tears in his eyes. My grandad once more chucked him out of the house. So my dad saw Aistrop coming down an alleyway, my did picked up the nearest thing (half a house brick) and when he got to end of alley, he clocnked him one on the head. Aistrop ran off screaming with his head pouring with blood.

Later on Aistrops mother went round to see my grandad and was going berserk about her young lads head being cut open. My grandad said he would sort it and my dad was in serious trouble.

Grandad never even spoke to my dad about it apart from to say "well done son, thats how you sort it."

Oh the good old days.

The picture was taken from just up the road on the Opposite side to where Phili club id. My wife was about 3 at the time in the 50's when her family moved from Martin Street they were the Ibbotsons.

On the side of the road near the top between the 2 shops I went to Crookesmoor with a girl that live there she was called Cathrine Idell.

has anybody got any old photos of martin street Sheffield in the early 1950s, or if theirs any books that has some in?

mick851,

I have the photo of Crookesmoor showing the " Tip " Martin Street, Wentworth Street,and Bromley Street . The photo was taken after the war , I would hazard a guess at early 1950 ish , the reason being that all of Martin Street is standing right up to the "Tip " , the Crookesmoor school annexe's are there and the railings are gone from the side of the footpath on Bromley Street . These were taken down for scrap for the war effort and never got put back. Also if you can zoom in to the photo you will see that the gate post on the left is minus it's fancy topper and this is on the ground were it landed after being pulled off by one of the wire tethers on a barage balloon during the war. I delivered newspapers on Martin Street until 1959 , a lot of my school pals ( Crookesmoor)lived there . I lived on Bromley Street just behind the shop in the photo , and across the street when I got married until we were rehoused in 1967. Asaw mentions Catherine Idle , she lived on Bromley Street just below us at number 97 .

Here is the link to the photo , hope it's ok for you

deecee

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/crookesmoorlad/crookesrec.jpg

• 1 year later...

You have the wrong Number I was born in Martin St at number 18 in 1941at the bottom end near the Hospital. the shop it was in the 160's at the top end of martin st near the tip. I remember the 6 shops in the Street Pub called the Adelphi at the corner of adelphi Street (approx No 13) Chip Shop and Whites greenGrocery Shop both sides of Whites entry where the horse and cart were kept halfway between Adelphi Street and burlington Street (Aprox Numbers 37 & 39 ). Two Shops were at the opposite corners of Burlington Street and Martin Street on the Evens side Right hand side looking up from hospital (Royal Infirmary). First one called Wilsons Both Off Liscence. Your Grandparents Cig shop same side on corner of bond street used to pass it on way to Tip & Park. Can remember it I think called Thommo's dont know if it was still open in the late 1940's . My mother was born at 193 Martin St and My Father At 36. My mothers parents died before I was born so I dont remember much about the top end of Martin st but i,m sure she called it thommo,s. My other went to Crookesmoor Starting there in 1921 and most of my Dads friends did too.

Look in the Sheffield Photo Archives for the Streets.

Look at Bond St as Martin St shows bottom end only

The

Sorry no old photos but wondered if anyone knew my grandma and granddad, Elsie and Jack Thompson who ran a tabacconists/ sweet shop at 16 Martin street. The shop was on the corner with Bond St. Think they must have moved their in the 1920s when my grandad lost his thumb in a factory accident, got the sack and small amoung of compensation which enabled them to buy the shop. My dad, Walter grew up there and went to Crooksmoor school, starting there in 1921.

My grandparents were rehoused to Ironside Walk, Gleedless Valley in the 1950s. My grandma loved it there as she had an indoor toilet and bathroom but granddad was not so keen.

jenc, fred moved from martin street in 1952, martin street was pulled down in 1956

Wrong Martin Street was NOT pulled down in 1956 . I lived at no 18 and the development of the Street started acoss the street from us with the pulling down of the adelphi pub in 1955 because I lost my mate Tony Martin when they moved his father was the landlord. A lot of Martin Street was still up whn we moved in 1959.