Wards pub hunt 1984

Does anyone recall doing the pub hunts of the early eighties particularly the Wards Brewery one?There were 4 different cards available with @26 pubs on each one where your card (or 4 page booklet) was stamped when an alcoholic drink was purchased in each pub listed.Prizes for finishing all 100+ Wards houses were collected from the brewery on Ecclesall Road.Allegedly only a dozen or so people did all 100 pubs in the allotted time (@3 months) as there was a big distance between them all (myself and 5 others from the same local were amongst the dozen).The 'winners' were given a barrell of beer,a Wards sweater and other items.Unfortunately I lost my finished cards many years ago.:mad:

I can certainly remember the competition as I met my wife in The Grindstone, during Barry Sandsby's tenure, as a result of it! Must have been 1982 around World Cup time. I still have a photograph of Wards' MD, Tim Young, presenting her and her mate (whom I already knew) with a sweater. They can't recall the barrel! Cheers Wards, fond memories.

I remember doing what was probably the last one in 1991, when I shouldn't really have been drinking ........ if I remember rightly, there were a couple on it out Kiveton Park way, which were awkward to get to (and indeed, we didn't), and there were a couple of rather unsavoury places too.

We went to the Windsor at opening time, and the Steel Inn straight afterwards on a Monday to get the stamp done, and then got the hell out of there!

Quite an interesting day was the London Road/City Centre/Wicker walkabout. That went on for some time ;)

I'm sure I wasn't 'really' meant to be at college that day ......

Does anyone recall doing the pub hunts of the early eighties particularly the Wards Brewery one?There were 4 different cards available with @26 pubs on each one where your card (or 4 page booklet) was stamped when an alcoholic drink was purchased in each pub listed.Prizes for finishing all 100+ Wards houses were collected from the brewery on Ecclesall Road.Allegedly only a dozen or so people did all 100 pubs in the allotted time (@3 months) as there was a big distance between them all (myself and 5 others from the same local were amongst the dozen).The 'winners' were given a barrell of beer,a Wards sweater and other items.Unfortunately I lost my finished cards many years ago.:mad:

Certainly remember Wards having 100 pubs or was it 99? They published a pub guide and I seem to recall one of the outlets was the residents only bar of the Hallam Towers hotel? Bit difficult to get that one, especially with some of the rabble I knocked about with ;)

It was certainly fun trying to get as many on the card as possible.

Talk about Tetley pub hunt tee shirts being ****.

Certainly remember Wards having 100 pubs or was it 99? They published a pub guide and I seem to recall one of the outlets was the residents only bar of the Hallam Towers hotel? Bit difficult to get that one, especially with some of the rabble I knocked about with ;)

It was certainly fun trying to get as many on the card as possible.

Talk about Tetley pub hunt tee shirts being ****.

Another one of the outlets was the Roslyn Court Hotel up on Psalter Lane ..... similar story with some of the rabble I knew then too ;)

Yup, been there done that got the t-shirt:hihi: and the Tetley pub hunts, their t-shirts were rubbish, one wash and it would fit a 3 year old.

i think i got 5 tshirts each time they did the promotion:)

the trip to the tetley brewery in leeds was much better a walk round the brewery and a hours worth of free drinks:)

I remember the Tetley pub hunt in 1982 (Blue t shirts),and the Tetley pub inquiry in 1983 (beige t-shirts) I got about 7 of the latter and amused the postman by putting false names on the cards I handed in at the pub.T-shirts duly turned up addressed to Mick Jagger,Jethro Q Walrustitty,Adolf Hitler and Lord Lucan among others.

I still have a mint condition inquiry t-shirt (the one addressed to Jagger via my mum and dad!) in the original packing.

• 1 month later...

Remember it well and doing it all on the same day as you only needed 12 pubs in Sheff (as opposed to I think 24 in L***s).

Memory is hazy but I think it went:

Abbey, Woodseats Hotel, Chantry, Sheaf, Robin Hood, Banner Cross, Hallamshire Hotel, Beehive, Mailcoach, Saddle and then I can't remember where - 2 more Tetley pubs in town

Archived