John Mothersole is the new Chief Executive of the council

We have a mayor, MPs and council leader, what the heck does a council chief exec do?

The Chief Exec is the most senior non-elected position in the Council. Basically, every Council employee works for them and they are responsible for the day-to-day running of the entire Council.

The Chief Exec meets with Councillors (especially the Leader and Cabinet) and officers (especially the Executive Directors) to make sure the Council's agreed policies are being implemented correctly.

It's essentially equivalent to being a CEO of a corporation with a turnover in excess of £1 billion per year.

So actually, the Chief Exec does rather a lot... ;)

We have a mayor, MPs and council leader, what the heck does a council chief exec do?

In short, after he as settled in. He tells all those who we elect as Councilors.

What they can do, What they cannot do and What they are Going to do.

If they like it or not.

Can anyone else say different?

Paul Scriven will probably say very different.

John Mothersole will be a good appointment because of his depth of knowledge of how the council works. No doubt he and the new administration have wisely come to a mutually convenient compromise on the past.

The Chief Exec. runs the council, councillors set policies and once agreed ensure council officers work to those policies via the chief exec. etc.

Local MPs have no control over the local council, they can advise them but do not control them.

The Lord Mayor is the front-person for the council and is also the chairperson when the council sits to deliberate.:)

The Chief Exec is the most senior non-elected position in the Council. Basically, every Council employee works for them and they are responsible for the day-to-day running of the entire Council.

The Chief Exec meets with Councillors (especially the Leader and Cabinet) and officers (especially the Executive Directors) to make sure the Council's agreed policies are being implemented correctly.

Right... What does the council leader do then? What about whoever has that black Jag outside town 'all then?

Right... What does the council leader do then? What about whoever has that black Jag outside town 'all then?

That ' Black Jag outside of the Town Hall ' is either mine parked when I call to pay my rent rebate or its the ' Lord Mayors '.

Going through the city today, one thing that I was pleased to notice, is that their is less litter about and the roads and footpaths appear to be cleaner.

Archived