John Mothersole is the new Chief Executive of the council

Paul Scriven will probably say very different.

John Mothersole will be a good appointment because of his depth of knowledge of how the council works. No doubt he and the new administration have wisely come to a mutually convenient compromise on the past.

That's right Tony, it was also important not to fall into a deliberate trap set by the past administration to pick their true choice as an apparent compromise.

Right... What does the council leader do then? What about whoever has that black Jag outside town 'all then?

Its a Daimler, not a Jag as such, a Daimler Jag and there's two of um, but my guess is they won't be at the disposal of Betts, Blanket and Cabourn any more.

If it's the conveyance allocated to the Lord Mayor with the City Crest on the doors, I think we bought it second hand when Rotherham were getting a new one for their Mayor. We're very thrifty in Sheffield :)

I think John Mothersole is a very different kettle of fish from previous CEOs, and I'm sure he'll do a good job. I still hold to the belief that Bob Kerslake got us out of a very deep hole and kept us out of it for a long time.

He may or may not have had a hidden agenda as has been hinted at by some, but he did the job and did it well. IMO.

It seems certain to any casual observer that BK was a central government (ie New Labour) appointment to keep Ye Olde Sheaffeld Labor Partie well in check and by and large he has done a good job, bided his time and gone on to his promised land in Whitehall.

No matter what your political persuasion, his talent will be missed but I'm very hopeful that JM will prove to be every bit the worthy successor. I do hope that the new political and administrative set up can effectively dismantle Ye Olde Worlde Sheaffeld Labor Partie machine that has stifled this city for so long.

More power to their collective elbow!

Possibly a lost opportunity for sweeping out the corridors?

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/whats-new/newchiefexecutive

"John Mothersole has been appointed as the new Chief Executive of Sheffield City Council, subject to ratification by full Council at their meeting later today. His appointment follows a rigorous assessment programme held earlier this week, in which he was competing against a very strong field, and selection by a cross party panel chaired by Council Leader Councillor Paul Scriven.

........"

Hurrah!!! Well done John!!!

It seems certain to any casual observer that BK was a central government (ie New Labour) appointment to keep Ye Olde Sheaffeld Labor Partie well in check and by and large he has done a good job, bided his time and gone on to his promised land in Whitehall.

No matter what your political persuasion, his talent will be missed but I'm very hopeful that JM will prove to be every bit the worthy successor. I do hope that the new political and administrative set up can effectively dismantle Ye Olde Worlde Sheaffeld Labor Partie machine that has stifled this city for so long.

More power to their collective elbow!

The Sheffield Council majority changed hands just a few weeks ago.

From reading comments on other forum postings similar to the above, obviously written by supporters or members of the party that gained control. I get the same,' gut ' feeling that made me re-think and leave the young communist league many years ago. Praise to the Leader he can do no wrong.

On the forum these days, some comments praise the new Council Leader as though he's a reincarnation of Joseph Stalin or Karl Marks though he as not had to face or solve a serious problem yet.

At the moment I don't think that the new Council have not had time to produce anything that may be justifiable criticized for. So before starting to nail anything and everything to the mast. Give them at least nine months.

We live in the same city, So let us all remember that if they are more successful than the party which I'm a member, the labour party. It will benefit all of us.

If they are not able to fulfill promises made. ' Out they should go '.

Archived