French restaurants in Sheffield - are there any?

Chez lahlou is lovely. We went a few weeks back and loved it. My dad lives in Spain and can't wait to go again.

Piece of advice though don't each much during the day before hand. Although they do do great doggy bags.-

As thread title.

:)

Don't be silly, of course there aren't. You've more chance of finding a restaurant in Paris serving Sheffield Fishcakes than finding a genuine French restaurant in Sheffield.

There was one on London Road, Le Grenouille it was called, I don't know whatever happened to that, maybe it's still around?

Please correct me if I'm wrong - but I know of no genuine good quality French restaurant in or near this city.

Chez lahlou is lovely. We went a few weeks back and loved it. My dad lives in Spain and can't wait to go again.

Piece of advice though don't each much during the day before hand. Although they do do great doggy bags.-

Chez Lalloo is about as French as Barnsley town hall. It's a peculiar place I think. It commands a cult following - usually from folks who like to seriously trough, people who put quantity before quality.

I went there with a group of folks a while ago - my first experience of it. I wished I hadn't ordered a starter! Between courses they give you, complimentary spicy chicken wings, like a massive plate full, bigger than the main course in most restaurants.

Then I had some kind of pastie thing for the main course. It was bigger than my whole plate.

Some folks like this, as I say, those who really want to walk out of a restaurant feeling completely stuffed and like they don't ever want to eat another meal again.

I didn't enjoy the experience very much. I felt the food was nothing better than average and the portions were vulgar.

I would go back again though - only next time I wouldn't order anything and just let them bring me the free chicken wings!

Each to their own I suppose but the quality of food when we went was good. Yes they do serve large portions but I would rather have too much food on my plate that not enough - a la nouvelle cuisine. You don't have to eat it all - the chicken wings aren't compulsory - and they give you the option to take the left overs home.

All in all - we all really enjoyed it and can't wait to go back.

Archived