Model Aeroplanes and "Jetex" Engines

Does anyone remember seeing or building a Model Aeroplane incorporating a Jetex Engine?

If so, what did you think to it?

My older cousin was an avid Aero Modeller in the late 1940's/early 1950's. He built and flew piston and Jetex engined aircraft. They were great fun to watch.

He spent most of his hobby time repairing the damage airframes when Mother Earth reclaimed them. :)

For younger SF Members here's the Wikipedia entry about the Jetex Engine

LINK

Does anyone remember seeing or building a Model Aeroplane incorporating a Jetex Engine?

If so, what did you think to it?

My older cousin was an avid Aero Modeller in the late 1940's/early 1950's. He built and flew piston and Jetex engined aircraft. They were great fun to watch.

He spent most of his hobby time repairing the damage airframes when Mother Earth reclaimed them. :)

For younger SF Members here's the Wikipedia entry about the Jetex Engine

LINK

I probably still have one somewhere.If I remember correctly they only ran for about 10 seconds.I even fitted one into a model car.I doubt if you can get the fuel tablets or fuses now.

Being a kid of the 50's and 60's I had experience of seeing these things in action and building a couple of models myself when my dad thought I was old enough.

I concentrated on planes, but a mate made a model of Cambells Bluebird which went like stink.

I recall some older lads flying a scale model of a Jet Fighter on the Tip - it was amazing the height the jetex unit took it to, then it glided back to ground in large circles.

As has being commented before there is NO way this could be sold to kids nowadays - for all sorts of reasons - mainly health and safety. I can testify how hot the bloody thing got.

I never had a Jetex model aeroplane (the kid next door had one and I was always jealous...) but in case anyone would like to reminisce: http://jetex.org/index.asp

What I did have was a gauge O model tank engine. Fired by methylated spirit, I think that this is another toy that would give the 'elf 'n' safety man apoplexy...

I never had a Jetex model aeroplane (the kid next door had one and I was always jealous...) but in case anyone would like to reminisce: http://jetex.org/index.asp

What I did have was a gauge O model tank engine. Fired by methylated spirit, I think that this is another toy that would give the 'elf 'n' safety man apoplexy...

Thanks for the link hillsboro. I'll be enthralled to read the site in detail. :thumbsup:

• 1 year later...
Being a kid of the 50's and 60's I had experience of seeing these things in action and building a couple of models myself when my dad thought I was old enough.

I concentrated on planes, but a mate made a model of Cambells Bluebird which went like stink.

I recall some older lads flying a scale model of a Jet Fighter on the Tip - it was amazing the height the jetex unit took it to, then it glided back to ground in large circles.

As has being commented before there is NO way this could be sold to kids nowadays - for all sorts of reasons - mainly health and safety. I can testify how hot the bloody thing got.

hiya docmel, the older lads would have been my brother and myself, we made a Delta winged aircraft from a balsa kit bought at " Hobbies " shop at the side of the peace gardens , even painted it with silver "dope " , and wow did it go with the Jetex engine in it .We launched it off the wall in our back yard , which was directly on to the Tip .I also had the speedboat model , that was good on the boating lake in Crookes Valley Park , though it was a sod to get back when the engine fizzled out !

I think we only flew the plane 3 times before it went up in a ball of flames, we went back to making the rubber band propelled balsa planes then ! But it was great fun making them .

hiya docmel, the older lads would have been my brother and myself, we made a Delta winged aircraft from a balsa kit bought at " Hobbies " shop at the side of the peace gardens , even painted it with silver "dope " , and wow did it go with the Jetex engine in it .We launched it off the wall in our back yard , which was directly on to the Tip .I also had the speedboat model , that was good on the boating lake in Crookes Valley Park , though it was a sod to get back when the engine fizzled out !

I think we only flew the plane 3 times before it went up in a ball of flames, we went back to making the rubber band propelled balsa planes then ! But it was great fun making them .

Yep, those were the days, my older brother used to make planes out of Balser wood and dope. they used to take ages to fire up as I remember and then were very tempramental but a load of fun!!!! Better than these day of PS3 and twiddeling thumbs.

Archived