Another new Wetherspoons for Sheffield - at the old Wards Brewery

I don't think it would, Wetherspoons attract a certain type of punter, not the same type that currently go to the Porter Brook. If anything a Wetherspoons on Ecklesall Road would bring people from town out to them, not steal them from existing pubs.

IMO.

I agree with this. As a regular visitor of the Woodseats Wetherspoons which is maybe about the same size. It is clear that people come to drink in here for the cheap drinks and then go to the nearest adjacent pub when it gets to busy and noisy. Typically wetherspoons pubs have large bars and an "adequate" but not "plentiful" amount of staff. This means that they have times with no customers waiting and 5 minutes later it is 4 deep at the bar. This can get very annoying and adjacent pubs do well out of this.

It's just a rumour, there's already the posh Flats at the old Wards' Brewery, what more do they want? Not to mention the fact that a Wetherspoons on Eccy Road would pretty much kill the Porter Brook and the Devonshire Arms Pubs.

Not neccesarily, they dont want my trade, if they were coming for mine it would close in a month ! They are after nursery, pomona, varsity and london road. I may get some trade from then as people wont walk to the dev from there but they will to go there. Plus, not everyone likes those type of pubs.

Not neccesarily, they dont want my trade, if they were coming for mine it would close in a month ! They are after nursery, pomona, varsity and london road. I may get some trade from then as people wont walk to the dev from there but they will to go there. Plus, not everyone likes those type of pubs.

I hope they get it from the Nursery, Varsity and Pomona. Terrible places particularly the Nursery. You have to get there at 6 to ensure you get served before last orders. I too think and hope it will be good for the Devonshire.

I pop into the Wetherspoons in Hillsborough occasionally and it is fine for an occasional pint and has a nice garden.

I go in Lloyds on Division Street a lot for years (although less since the smoking ban) and I really like the place. There's never any trouble because the staff nip it in the bud. Also most of their staff have been there long term so they know what they're doing.

The foods gone down hill a bit recently but as far as the atmosphere is concerned it doesn't bother me if I have to wait for an hour or so on my own while my husband finishes up on site because it is a good friendly pub with decent customers and nice staff.

They're rubbish pubs and the food is all microwaved crap, I think you're very brave if you eat in there.

Just my opinion of course. The new one could be a new flagship bar the likes of which we have never seen, and not a soul-less dive full of dregs at half 10 in the morning

They're rubbish pubs and the food is all microwaved crap, I think you're very brave if you eat in there.

Just my opinion of course. The new one could be a new flagship bar the likes of which we have never seen, and not a soul-less dive full of dregs at half 10 in the morning

Don't vent your spleen on a pub that hasn't even been built yet! Go and do it on my "What do you think of Wetherspoons pubs?" thread in the link below.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=368040

The issue there for an indy businessman to open a venue there was always two issues, one the fact that the location is slap bang on a carrageway so cabs cant stop outside to pick-up/drop-off that and the ents licence would be a bugger to obtain what with the flats above, behind and across the rd.

Now the Wetherspoons pubs dont play music so, alas, i can see how at least one problem is sorted, think that side alley though is gonna be noisey as all hell on weekend nights though! Yet another reason to sell those "city living" apartments now folks! :)

I hope they get it from the Nursery, Varsity and Pomona. Terrible places particularly the Nursery. You have to get there at 6 to ensure you get served before last orders...

Oooh, harsh.

Yes, the Nursery Tav can be a bit busy at times, but that's only due to it's popularity. You shouldn't knock it.

Ok, there are some people who prefer the 'straight to the bar... tumbleweed' option; but why not embrace the happy atmosphere of a much loved Sheffield institution?

Archived