Ecclesall butcher, Harry Cooper has died.

Former wholesale butcher, Harry Cooper, who came from Ecclesall has died at the age of 96. Very sad for those who knew him for business apart, and extremely good at that, recognising value etc, Harry had many friends on the racecourse as an owner and shrewd-judge punter. He was still attending meetings until a fortnight ago but alas, it's Harry's number now in the frame.

Absolutely. He recently went by train to Beverley races on his own which involves changing at Hull. Unfortunately, he missed his stop in Beverley so journeyed to Driffield from where he took a taxi back to Beverley racecourse.

He was a well-respected figure on-course and I'm sure the industry will show its respects at his funeral.

Harry Cooper was my Great Great Uncle through his wife Phyllis who died several years ago. We hadn't had much contact recently and we were all saddened to hear of his death. Unfortunately none of our side of the family were asked to attend his funeral, and only learned of it from reading it in the paper. :(.

My condolences corpG. News of Harry's passing has only just reached the racing industry whereas your post tends to suggest that the funeral has already taken place. As I was intending going, perhaps you could confirm if it has and which paper/date you read the news please?

I have found the obituary in the "Star" archives and the funeral took place on June 27. My respects will have to be the ones above. His death was on June 18.

• 10 months later...

Archived