Looking for relatives of Sgt Leonard COTTON RAFVR

geocol.

I have checked all the streets you have listed but I can't find Harry listed.

Tuppie

From a tale my father told, I am 99.99 % certain they were living in that area in 1946, and thought they still lived there in the sixties. Harry was a smashing bloke, admired by my uncle and both of us.

Please could you try Danville Street.

I can't think of the names of any other adjacent streets in that area. I'll dig out a map tonight.

There have got to be some of their decendents around.

Whether any would recognise Harry or Jack from a description or knew of Leonard is a different matter.

If we can identify their address, i am considering starting another thread on here, for Sanders from Canada Street and whereever else we can identify, as some of them may not recognise or know of their link to the name of Cotton.

Thanks for looking.

I have well over 100 Cotton's in my family tree, however i have found no apparent link to Leonard, have done a bit of Digging and found that Leonard Snr was born c1888 in Nottingham, his father was Herbert Cotton b c1851 Sheffield. This may help anyone else out there with Cotton links to tie them in with people in there tree.

Martin

Please could you try Danville Street.

The problem seems to be that there are still courts. On Danville St the first numbered property is 91 on the odd side and 72 on the even side.Occupiers of the courts are not listed, just the numbers of the courts.

Tuppie

The problem seems to be that there are still courts. On Danville St the first numbered property is 91 on the odd side and 72 on the even side.Occupiers of the courts are not listed, just the numbers of the courts.

Tuppie

Tuppie,

Thanks for checking that for me.

It looks like the last two throws of the dice, are for Buckenham Road (please let it be so) , or possibly Catherine Road

There are possibly other streets that had disappeared by the seventies, but none which spring to mind, or are on the streetmap from that era, which I am using now.

Have a good holiday.

Geo.

But, a relative has come up with following.

That both Maurice and Harry Sanders worked for Mr. Colley, the tripe dresser in the fourties and fifties.

She also believes Maurice/Morris Sanders (Leonard's cousin, aforementioned residing at 61 Canada Street in 1954) had a daughter (name and surname unknown) and granddaughter, who may well have been called Maureen, who used to visit them there at the time..

56 Buckenham Road

Hy. Sanders (j) tripe dresser

Brilliant, thanks.

It was the next road along, which I'd overlooked when I mentioned the first three.

Hi All

even more info coming in so forgive me if my replies are not constructive as yet. Sheffield is very alien to me and i do not know the area at all so will have to get my bearings.

Many thanks for everyone who is trying to find Leonards extended family, hopefully someone will eventually be found.

Geocol i have pm'd you

how do i add pics to a thread? cannot find the attach link

Nick

Hi All

even more info coming in so forgive me if my replies are not constructive as yet. Sheffield is very alien to me and i do not know the area at all so will have to get my bearings.

how do i add pics to a thread? cannot find the attach link

Nick

I can't help Nick on the last point, maybe someone else can..

Nick,

All the streets I have refered to , were on the slopes (steep in some cases) on the western side of the Don Valley, overlooking the heavy industry and steel works on the NE side of the city.

They contained row upon row of 2up, 2 down terraced houses, built for the steel workers. These were demolished in the seventies. People could have literally been rehoused anywhere in the city.

The school Leonard went top to, All Saints was on the junction of Ellesmere Road, and Sutherland Road, approx. 5 to 10 minutes walk from Canada Street. The school and rather sadly original church ( a fine piece of architecture) were demolished, along with the houses.