Banners on "The Cliffe"

• 1 month later...
My mum used to make a joke, when anyone asked where where she was from, saying, in her poshest voice

"Oh I'm from Ay-ter-ky liff" :hihi:

Darnallites... Wincobankers... (ooh dear that sounds a bit, er, naughty!) Heeleyites, Abbeydalers... (tries to think which suffixes work with the different areas) Tinsleyites... Arbourthorners, Manorites Hackenthorpers, Birleyites

erm... Hyde Parkers... Walkleyites. What about Carbrookians?

I use the term "Gleadlesians" (that's Gleed- lay -si-ans) for those from Gleadless.

Stanningtonians, anyone?

You missed Crosspudlians and I suppose Crookes could remain crookes

• 11 months later...

My mum worked in Banners China Departmnt. They put the money in little cylinders that was thn placed in a tube. The money went to the office they then sent the change back with a written receipt. They also had specail banners money called " Banners Cheques"

If anyone is interested a friend of mine has written a book called "Life and love on the Cliffe". She had a book signing at Banners shop last Friday. I did'nt grow up on the Cliffe but have not been able to put the book down, I also got one for a friend who did grow up there and many places mentioned are familiar to her though most are long gone.

HI where can I get a copy from?

I'm not in Sheffield so where or how can I get a book?

I remember Banners and Littlewoods just a bit further up. I remember mum leaving me and my little brother in his pushchair outside Littlewoods when she popped in for stockings. Apparently she once came back out to find me trying to sell my little brother to passersby. Boy did that clip round t'ear oyl hurt. But worse still no wanted wanted to buy the squealing infant. But can you imagine a mum leaving her 2 kids outside a shop today and then giving one of them a slap in the middle of the street!!!!!!!!!!! I think not.

If anyone is interested a friend of mine has written a book called "Life and love on the Cliffe". She had a book signing at Banners shop last Friday. I did'nt grow up on the Cliffe but have not been able to put the book down, I also got one for a friend who did grow up there and many places mentioned are familiar to her though most are long gone.

Come on "lindilu" dont hold out on us where can we get a copy .

Archived