What do you think of Wetherspoons pubs?

Wetherspoons pubs - good or bad?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Wetherspoons pubs - good or bad?

How odd to see this old thread making a comeback!

I too was pleasantly surprised by the Bankers Draft when I nipped in for a swift one after work on Friday. Not only was the beer surprisingly well kept, but they also appear to be serving different real ales in the upstairs bar to the downstairs one. Had a delightful pint of Saltaire Raspberry Blonde.

Perhaps they have a new manager in who's decided to do something about the previously-dodgy reputation?

The manager did step in pretty sharply when the guy I mentioned who was begging at tables came over to ours about 30 minutes after being chased from the pub. We hardly had any time to be bothered. May be going back in a couple of weeks time so will try upstairs this time.

There's a great variety in Wetherspoons places. The one round the corner from John Lewis is actually a nice place, with tasteful decour and pretty laid back whenever I've been in there On the other hand, I was in one in East London which definitely had a touch of the wild west. Lots of blokes with whom it was clearly wise to avoid eye contact, cameras everywhere, including the urinal, and best of all, hinged wire caging all round the bar, ready to be pulled down at a moment's notice,

I like Wetherspoons pubs for the drink and meal, and i like the atmosphere when i go for a drink or meal with OH or friends has good to be able to chat.

I rather spend money on the burger and a beer meal deal that cost just about the same in Mcdonnalds for a buger and soft drink and chips, and on a plus side in Weatherspoons i have the option of a alco drink or soft drink with my burger and chips and it fills me up more then Mcdonnalds meals.

• 1 month later...

wetherspoons in my opinion are the worst pubs in britain!all they do is sell everything cheap,so therefore the clientelle is always cheap,every one ive been in is full of doley scum livin it up on beer and burgers,laughing at us workers!i live in hillsborough,and used to love goin round hillsborough at weekend nights,now that wetherspoons ave opened on the tram stop,all the doleys from shiregreen and parson cross descend to hillsborough and have quite frankly ruined it!my aunt was stood at the tram stop where the pub is situated and felt very uncomfortable when two scrote bags came stumbling out for a fag,bearing in mind this was at eleven o clock,they were steamed!cheap tacky and you may as well call them all "the jockey" (pub from "shameless" series).rant over.

Archived