Caravans parked on the streets

Note the bold. If you are parked on a two way street wouldn't the traffic be coming both ways? Many caravans only have reflectors on the back. Also, if you take out insurance that doesn't cover you on the street it's a bit daft, seeing as they will eventually have to be parked on a street at some point!

So is this where we find out who the caravan haters brigade are?:hihi:

I don't think this has anything to do with caravan haters. It is about whether it is legal or not.

My concern when seeing a caravan parked on a suburban street whilst not hooked up to a tow car certainly worried me, and as you yourself said it will not be insured. I find it disturbing that an untaxed and uninsured car would be towed away and crushed if spotted parked up (and dead right too) wheras an untaxed and uninsured caravan would be ignored.

Certainly a parked caravan on a steep hill looks like an accident waiting to happen, and with kids around probably will.

Who gives a damn? You still don't want one blocking all the light out of your house. You want to see the world outside your window not some lump of trash on wheels.

I think the point being made is a tax disk makes it legal to park on the road. Whilst I sympathise that some thick skinned so and so parks his van outside your window and blocks your light, there isn't much you can do about it. The same would appear not to be the case with a caravan which does not have that important little disk.

way back, I had some guy knocking on my door complaining about one of my caravans blocked his sight while he was pulling out of his drive, and to his way of thinking, 'caused' his collision with another vehicle. But the van was legally parked, taxed and tested, and nowhere near as broad as other vehicles, like trucks, that typically get parked on other suburban streets. Why was he 'shocked' by the

sight of the van but just driven around it - it was legally parked.

I don't know what it is when people see caravans or camper vans, or motor vehicles that double as residences - they lose all logic. For some of us, this is the way we have always lived and wish to continue to live.

Reference my post #3....I didn't know the answer to the OP question so I googled for it.

Apparently it's illegal to leave a caravan parked on the street.

To clarify the other points raised later...a caravan does not need to be taxed because it isn't self propelled, as in having an engine.

Nor is it a legal requirement to have insurance.

It is a legal requirement that the towing vehicle is insured for towing,,and that covers any third party damage that may be done whilst being towed.

In my opinion.....anyone not insuring a caravan seperately is a fool. Seperate caravan insurance covers the van and third party liability when unhitched...i.e. if the van caught fire any damaged it caused to other vehicles, property, or people.

Reference my post #3....I didn't know the answer to the OP question so I googled for it.

Apparently it's illegal to leave a caravan parked on the street.

To clarify the other points raised later...a caravan does not need to be taxed because it isn't self propelled, as in having an engine.

Nor is it a legal requirement to have insurance.

It is a legal requirement that the towing vehicle is insured for towing,,and that covers any third party damage that may be done whilst being towed.

In my opinion.....anyone not insuring a caravan seperately is a fool. Seperate caravan insurance covers the van and third party liability when unhitched...i.e. if the van caught fire any damaged it caused to other vehicles, property, or people.

I don't think anyone has said a caravan needs to be taxed. The statement made was that you can park a van in the street because IT DOES have a tax disk. You cannot leave a caravan, trailer or pitch a tent on the highway because it doesn't.

I have seen several caravans that are causing massive obstructions on narrow suburban streets. They shouldn't be there. It would be interesting to see what happened if one of those big wagons that delivers building materials took the side out of a caravan whilst trying to get around it. Technically the driver is in collission with an illegal obstruction. I bet his insurance company would make a big deal about that one.

I totally agree with you anarchist. They are an obstuction and shouldn't be there. I know of a few around here just parked on the street and have often wondered if it was legal. This thread has prompted me to check, as I'm sure to be asked again.

The rest of my post was just for information for those interested.

Apparently they can't do anything if the caravan is hooked up to a car though.

Shame... cos right on the corner of the junction of my street is a very large 4x4 with an equally large caravan hooked up to it. It has been parked this way for a week now and the only reason I have noticed is cos it has created a hazard for me when I try and pull away from the junction.

Shame... cos right on the corner of the junction of my street is a very large 4x4 with an equally large caravan hooked up to it. It has been parked this way for a week now and the only reason I have noticed is cos it has created a hazard for me when I try and pull away from the junction.

Which is breaking the law - if it's too close to a junction. Inform the police as it's a traffic hazard. Or ring the council with number plate info.

Archived