First Film you saw at the Cinema in Sheffield

Wow I don't remember it as a picture house but I do remember it as a bingo place in the late 1960s Was it call the Embassy then?

If I remember correctly it was on the Right Hand side as you went down that steep cobbled street (Gilbert St.?), all other buildings long since demolished. Must have been a pub on the cobbled street too as I remember seeing the cellar hatch.

I remember the Park Cinema, a gang of us kids from Pitsmoor made a special trip to see 'Guadalcanal Diary', featuring Lloyd Nolan, William Bendix, et al. We all got there on the inner circular, I think it used to stop outside the cinema.

I'm sure I must have seen some Disney film or other when I was small, but the first film I remember seeing is 'Star Wars' at the Gaumont. I think it was released in '77, so I must have been about 6. I distinctly remember being bored to tears by it, and leaving before it was half way through. I clearly had excellent taste even as a youngster... ;) .

The first film I ever saw saw was at the Pavilion on Attercliffe Common. It was called " The Court Jester" starring Danny Kaye around 1954.

Films that I can also recall in that era were seen at the Essoldo, Sheffield Lane Top and include "Reach for the Sky" starring Kenneth More as the WW" pilot Douglas Bader in 1956 . Also I can rember "The Vikings " starring Kirk Douglas and Tony Curtis around 1957.

I have very vague memories of going to the Saturday matinee at the Victory Cinema on Upwell Street which was just at the bottom of Birdwell Road where I used to live. I can remember they used to show a Flash Gordon serial. That must have been about 1954 as well.

There were some great local cinemas about in those days, for example, the Sunbeam at Firvale, the Roxy at Page Hall and the Paragon at Firth Park. Also the Adelphi just off Attercliffe Common and the Colisseum on Spital Hill were particular favourites.

• 2 weeks later...

The first film I ever saw at a cinema was not in town but at the Cinema House, Ecclesfield (later Essoldo). My Dad took me and the film was an old British (new then) black and white film starring Freda Jackson, called 'No Room at the Inn'. In the film she had a hat with a feather in it. One of the kids sat on it and she shouted 'Who's broke me bleedin' feather?' I thought it was really rude and couldn't stop talking about it. I must have been all of five years old.

The first film I ever went see was a Matinee somewhere in Sheffield in the 1940's and I fell asleep ..My mum told me the Film was called "Gaslight" can anybody remember this film.???

I remember it. I think Ingrid Bergman and Anton Walbrook were the stars. A very scary film, taken from the stage play of the same name by Patrick Hamilton.