First Film you saw at the Cinema in Sheffield

The Exorcist at a local working mens club, I was about 16 at the time. That film scared me to death and even to this day I will not watch it again:o

Not exactly the pictures but I remember it like it was yesterday, one guy actually fainted and had to be carried out.

I remember watching it when I 18 and it scared me good and proper I think it was the first cert 18 I watched. The scene with the crucifix was pretty gruesome...................... :gag:

The first film I saw without my mum or dad with me was 'Breakdance' at the Gaumount in Barkers Pool. I went with my mate, it was 1984 and the breakers and poppers (it's taking me back now!) were breakdancing in front of the screen while the film was on! It didn't take much to amuse us in those days! Don't think I'll ever forget that!

Originally Posted by toptourist

Well not so much a movie but a Newsreel, I remember Mum taking me to see Pricess Margaret's wedding at the cinema at Fitzallen Square.

I also remember as a child queing up for hours at a cinema just down from Cockaynes I think, to see Cliff Richard in The Young Ones. A little later I remember Mum and Dad surprising my sister and I, by taking us to a cinema I cannot remember where although just as I typed that the name Doore came into my head. Is this a place in Sheffield , I know it was near to some of my aunts friends called MR and Mrs Carr. We saw the Beatles in Its a hard Days Night wow where have all these memories been hiding!!!!!!!!!

Spoke about this post with Mum and Dad last night, it seems the cinema was at Shiregreen and was called the ISOLDO CINEMA hope I spelt it right. Dad said he remembered that cinema for a different reason . During the war he and his mum were ushered there one night when there was an un exploded bomb iin their street in Shiregreen ( it ended up being in their front garden). So the home guard ushered all the people living in that area into the cinema until the bomb was diffused by a sailor who was home on leave at the time. Does anyone else recall thewir parents telling the same story ????