First Film you saw at the Cinema in Sheffield

The Sound of Music with my big sister at the Classic in Fitzallen Sqaure or Guess Who's Coming to Dinner at Greystones

Also remember going to see a Clockwork Orange (cert 18)at the same place with two mates when we were all only 14. One of the mates (now quite a well known actor/comedian) nearly blew our cover by asking if schoolkids had to pay full price!

• 3 weeks later...

I've just read through this thread right from the beginning, what a lot of brilliant films are mentioned.

My first recollection is being taken by a cousin or someone to the cinema on Union Street (The Palace I think) when I was about 3 or 4. The film was High Society and I never saw the end. From what I can recall, my relative fainted or something and we went to an office then had to leave part way through and all I can remember is being outside and crying then. I have watched it since though :) .

The Exorcist has been mentioned as the one that frightened lots of people, well for me it was Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds at Studio 5 6 7 in the Wicker. I made my boyfriend leave before the end - and to this day, I still can't bear to watch it to the end if it's on TV.

At the Lansdown Palace,a film called "Bolero",with George Raft. There was also a 1d rush for kids on a saturday afternoon where the place was packed.

Serials were popular,it would get to an exciting point where the hero looked

like he had his chips,then it was "continued next week". We would speculate all week on the outcome,and then it was a case of "one bound and he was free" and ready to carry on his good work, In those days at the pictures,you got a news reel,a cartoon,a travelogue or "crime does not pay" short, a "B" film,and then the main feature. Today's cinemas only give you the main feature,and that's it.