First Film you saw at the Cinema in Sheffield

having read the whole thread I think I have the most appropriate.

The Full Monty at the Odeon!

Nothing like seeing the cinema you are watching the the film in appearing in the film! (its in the Sheffield promotional film at the beginning, not the main film)

I came to sheffield as a student the year before but didn't go to cinema until then

bambi at Rex cinema which is now a car park for co-op

I loved the Rex ... I can't remember what film I saw there first ... I also remember Beighton had its own Cinema .. I remember Elsie Tanner ( early Corronation Street if you don't know) at a Premier night there... god it was like Hollywood. lol

Killamarsh also had Cinema too ... I saw Mary Poppins there ... I was very traumatized. It's not a boys film ... no John Wayne or anybody cool in it!!! grrrrrrrrr

David

ps: The Rex... Me and a group of Yobs went there in the late sixties with the intention of wreaking the joint but when we got there someone had beat us to it. !!

pps: found my first girl friend there .. a young lass from the Manor ..cool :) I was 12 in 69

• 4 months later...

I suppose it's appropriate to put this posting on this thread. I watched 'The Aviator' a few days ago, Martin Scorsese's take on the life and times of Howard Hughes. I enjoyed it, good film. I was particulary taken by the sequences regarding the shooting of 'Hells Angels'. My wife looked at me 'gone out' when I casually mentioned that I'd actually seen the original. I saw it at the Roxy, about 1947, when they started opening cinemas on Sunday. Good shot of Ben Lyon in it . Jeez, I also saw the original 'King Kong there too. Never did dig why Fay Wray did all that screaming. Remember, anybody, when they used to put on really bad catagory A or H movies, when you had to ask an adult to 'Take us in, please'? Couldn't happen today, no sir.