First Film you saw at the Cinema in Sheffield

Originally posted by Damon

No way! MY first film at the pics was Bedknobs and Broomsticks at the Gaumont, early 70s too!

A quick web search reveals that it was released in 1971, so there you go. I would have been 3 or 4.

My memory of the occasion is very vague, but I do recall that I was really quite bemused by the whole thing, not really sure what was going on, and I think the ads and the film itself all kind of blended into one. My own lad seems a lot more clued up about things like this, as he's only 3 and a half, and he's been to the cinema and theatre loads of times - and seems to understand what's going on perfectly!

The first film I saw at the pics was Bedknobs and Broomsticks at Penistone cinema. I was about 3. I can only seem to remember the "Bobbin along" song

Originally posted by redrobbo

The first cinema film I recall, sometime in the 50s, was a French film about a little boy and a red ballon. It was a beautiful film, but although it left a lasting impression on me, I've never seen it since.

I remember it too and must aggree with you it is a beautiful film. It would be nice to seee it again.

Follow the link below.

"le ballon rouge"

Originally posted by Lostrider

I remember it too and must aggree with you it is a beautiful film. It would be nice to seee it again.

Follow the link below.

"le ballon rouge"

Thank you Lostrider. How interesting to note the opening observation in this review that people who saw it as a child remark on how it affected them. That's exactly my situation.

Have now calculated that I was 8 when I saw this film, which is 50 years ago. I must have seen loads of other films before that time, but this is the first that I can clearly remember.

Happy memories then for both me and Lostrider.

Mary Poppins. I was 4 and cried when the toys started misbehaving so we had to leave. A feat I repeated when my Dad took me to see 2000 Years BC. I shrieked as soon as the dinosaurs came on. I guess he just wanted to ogle Raquel. I was far too young to appreciate her finer points.

STAR WARS - when I was around five or six, my dad took me and my two older brothers, needless to say we spent the next few months aboard the millenium falcon, hitting each other with sticks and 'using the force'........yes, OF COURSE I was Princess Leia...(and still am, actually)

The first films I can remember are Sweet Rosie O'Grady at the Palace on London rd and The stage door canteen at a cinema just above H L Browns I think it was called the Cinema House.

Can't remember muchabout them, but vividly remember The News which was introduced by a **** crowing annd showing the troops going into Belson or someother camp. Remember the piles of skeletons with sticks for legs and ams which they were actually moving. ? waving.

I suppose the saying, lest we forget comes to mind.

hazel

I remember the first film i ever saw at the pictures .

I was about 4 yrs old and my mum took me to see snow white at the Adelphi (probably wrong spelling), in Attercliffe,

Very early 60s. I remember there was always a man selling chestnuts when you came out.

when i was 11 I went to see kes , jungle book, Bullwhip griffin at the Essoldo sheffield lane top.

This topic has really got me thinking. I know the cinema was the 'Sunbeam' down Firvale, but I haven't a clue what the movie was. I was still sitting on the edge of a tipup seat, and it was a 'period' type movie where all the women wore crinolines and the men wore long wigs and other outlandish crap.

So there's this old guy who plays the violin, and just to emphasise the fact, for some reason the film makers decided to have four of him revolving around the screen, a kind of early special effects. To cut the story short, it did my head in, four of this guy going round and around, playing this violin. They dragged me out screaming blue murder. I must've ruined it for about 200 people. Pity really, It could've been Douglas Fairbanks.