First Film you saw at the Cinema in Sheffield

It was Jungle book which my Dad took me to see at the Rex Cinema. Dad recently passed away and it's nice to remember things like this. He had a childs sense of humour so loved taking us kids to see all the cartoons. Even up to his death he would still crack up at Tom and Jerry and Foghorn Leghorn.

You guys have got me trying to think of a movie I can put a name to! The only one that comes to mind is 'Mississippi', with Bing Crosby, and W.C.Fields. I must've been about 5 or 6 years old, just before the war started. My Uncle used to take me and he never missed a Crosby movie.

Mine was Mary Poppins when I was about 5 or 6. My dads friend took me to the ABC! I saw the exorcist when I was about 13 (that cinema at Attercliffe?) and it also scared me half to death, I was crying but my boyfriend wouldn't let me leave the 'pictures' and I slept with my bedroom light on for the next 5 years!

Originally posted by tulip

Mine was Mary Poppins when I was about 5 or 6. My dads friend took me to the ABC! I saw the exorcist when I was about 13 (that cinema at Attercliffe?) and it also scared me half to death, I was crying but my boyfriend wouldn't let me leave the 'pictures' and I slept with my bedroom light on for the next 5 years!

The first one I really remember was "Emmanuelle" at the studio 7. That saw me through many of those long winter evenings.

• 9 months later...

It was 1934 and for weeks my mother had been promising to take me to see ‘the big monkey’. I was the original King Kong with Fay Wray, and it was showing at the old Darnall Cinema. When the first close-up pf ‘the big monkey’ appeared I was already running like mad and half-way out of the theatre; my mother following and shouting for me to come back. Come back? No fear! I kept on running until I got back home. Afterwards, I had nightmares for weeks. I was quite young (going on 5) at the time.

I went to watch pinnochio (can't spell that) plus another film that I don't remember, there was an interval between the two and a lady came round with ice cream, I thought it was great. I was really young about 5/6 so we are talking 17 years ago, how come they don't have double bills now with ice cream in the interval.